Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Laborer

Share |

Can anyone identify this insulation?

I don't know the age of it but wonder if it might contain asbestos.
It is used around water and sewage pipes.

White Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #2

It looks like the old time carpet padding, before foam rubber.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Laborer

It has a look of wool about it. And it has a slight smell of wet wool. I am concerned it dates to a time which makes it more likely to contain asbestos. But work was done down there in the late 70's (according to an old newspaper I found behind the walls) and work was done in the late 90's just before my folks got this place). A problem with dating though, is that the previous owner was a commercial builder who recycled materials from jobsites. But I guess a visual ID, especially from such a poor picture is also no good. I'm just hoping someone has seen this stuff and can give me a product name to research and then compare.

To be safe I'm leaving those panels up for now to hold back any friable fibers. I'd like to discard the panels while I've got the dumpster but I don't want to contaminate the house with asbestos. I've got some acoustic ceiling tiles I'm also leaving up till tested. Dang blasted asbestos!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #4

Looks to me like fibreglass or rockwool insulation that was designed for insulating ductwork.
I once used something similar to this on furnace ductwork that ran through a cold garage.
It was held in place with a glue that was painted on the ductwork, then the insulation was pressed onto it.
In my day, I've see all sorts of asbestos insulation, but none that looked like this!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
General Contractor

That is wool blanket insulation, and does not contain asbestos. It had very little insulation qualities either. If you don't need to move it, simply wrap fiberglass foil back heat duct insulation around it.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
the Musigician

a simple test might be as easy as burning a small piece of it...... if you end up with ashes, probly not asbestos?
but it looks like old carpet pad to me too.
being as it's around cold plumbing, i doubt it's asbestos. so do as joasis suggests.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:31 AM   #7
Laborer

Thanks Wildie and joasis! I've been searching around the net while on breaks and learned a little of what asbestos looks like. And I have seen many examples of rockwool insulation. From your experiances and from what I have found, I am confident enough to go ahead and discard the paneling which covers those insulated pipes. Its nice to get those moldy panels outta there!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
Laborer

MdangermouseM I don't know that a burn test would tell much. Rockwool and other insulation all have some burn resistant qualities I think. There are absetos products for pipe insulation, but from what I've found it looks nothing like the stuff I got. It very much looks like rockwool. I'm going with that anyway.

But I'm still leaving the accoustic ceiling panels up till I know about them. I may take them down myself if they are, but thats going to be a BIG job. I know what I'm in for if they are asbestos and I'm not looking forward to it!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
General Contractor

Ceiling panels may be another story. Now here are a few facts for you...if the panels have been painted, they are "sealed" and obviously not releasing asbestos fibers into the air.....in other words, no risk. Now, if they need to be replaced, simply wear a dust mask, with a box van in an open window to draw air out of the room, and remove them and bag them up. If you are not comfortable with this, get a garden sprayer and "mist" then with water as you break them up getting them down.

Asbestos is made from vermiculite...and I know people that literally grind them up and return them to the ground....safety is all about simply not breathing the dust.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote