Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

campers and holding tanks...

My wife and I (no kids) are planning on living in a camper temporarily on our land while we build our home, (yes, this is legal where we are.) I am debating on tying into the septic tank (probaly should buy a camper that comes without a holding tank like the fema ones...???) or just use the holding tanks. I am not trying to be gross, but just wondering how often we would need to carry camper off and have tanks emptied. (black mostly) Thanks....

ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
Household Handyman

If you have access to a septic tank, the why not use it? I have friends here who park there units in their back yards, and hook up as if camping (including to a septic tank hook-up). Usually the grandkids stay in them over the weekend-sort of "camping" to them. Your gray water and black water should just go right on out to the septic system. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #3

I agree, hooking up to a septic tank would be the best solution, but living in a camper with new home construction, grading, etc going on is different than living in a backyard. We might hook up after septic is in place, eventually, but I would need a place to stay will grading for home, 600' ft road/driveway is put in place, septic tank installed and inspected. So it might make sense to live in camper a few hundered feet from construction until we can hook up. So, how often would I need to empty tank ya' think?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #4

The size of the holding tank varies camper to camper - smaller campers usually have smaller tanks. And of course the number of people using makes a big difference. Typically I think you will get two to five days of use. The grey tank fills up quickly as well - water from the sink, shower, etc. If using the shower, my wife and I will fill up the grey tank before the black.

You can get a portable tank that you dump into and then take the portable tank to a dump station - saves having to tear down and drag the whole camper there.

Is there a camp ground relatively nearby? You could set up the camper there with full hookups (water, electric, sewer), have the use of their showers, etc. Check for weekly and monthly rates. Then move to your property once the septic tank is ready there.

With everything going on with house building - I would consider to minimize the time and hassle of dealing with the camper by setting up in a camp ground.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #5

vsheetz....you make a good point about just emptying the potable water tank.....much easier, gross,...but much easier.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Drywall contractor

Check into having a portable toilet company coming out and furnishing an aux. tank and pumping on a regular basis if you can't access the septic and don't want to haul the camper to "dump" the tanks....
Old 04-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #7

If you have access to the septic tank, water supply and electricity, living on site would be an advantage as theft of building material would be minimized by your presence!

It would be best to follow the usual practice followed by campers in general!

The tanks are always kept closed, rather than be allowed to flow continuously!
In the black water tank, solids will back up in the tank, while the fluids run away! Fluids and solids must be kept suspended together, then when the gate valve is opened all will be evacuated together!
After the black water is emptied, then the gray water is dumped, to clean out the remains of the black water!

The FEMA trailers came without tanks, so that the above procedure did not need to be followed!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #8

Here is something else that could help - RV Waste Pump Kit
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...pump-kit/26125
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #9

I have a camper that does not have a holding tank and hooks straight up to a septic tank, will a portable holding tank work on my camper?
Mit678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit678 View Post
I have a camper that does not have a holding tank and hooks straight up to a septic tank, will a portable holding tank work on my camper?
If you don't have a holding tank, but you do have a toilet aboard, there is no problem.
Its when you have a tank, that you cannot allow waste to flow through.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
If you don't have a holding tank, but you do have a toilet aboard, there is no problem.
Its when you have a tank, that you cannot allow waste to flow through.
I do have a toilet and a shower. We love to go to state parks, but most of them don't have the septic tank hook ups. We were holding a portable one would work.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #12

It's just two of us, what size portable holding tank would you recommend? The camper has a shower and toilet, plus sinks.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit678 View Post
It's just two of us, what size portable holding tank would you recommend? The camper has a shower and toilet, plus sinks.
You can never have too much tank capacity! Holding tanks become filled at the most inconvienient times.
If you intend to add a tank to your rig, get the largest one that you have room for.
And don't forget to dump your tank before going on the road. It costs money to move waste water around.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
You can never have too much tank capacity! Holding tanks become filled at the most inconvienient times.
If you intend to add a tank to your rig, get the largest one that you have room for.
And don't forget to dump your tank before going on the road. It costs money to move waste water around.
No plans to add one, we usually only take weekend trips. Just wanted to make sure a portable holding tank would work being the camper doesn't have one. Thanks for the info. If you have any other advice, it would be great. We are thinking of getting the 42 gallon portable holding tank since you can hook it to a hitch & empty it. Sounds convienent.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #15

If just using the trailer's holding tanks, be prepared to take "Navy" showers. Wet down, turn off water, soap up, shampoo hair, turn on water and rinse. Our trailer has 40g tanks holding tanks and a 50g fresh, which is pretty good size for travel trailers. My wife and I have 3 little ones. Being conservative with water we can usually get 3-4 days of dry camping (no hook-ups). Being conservative means a navy shower every 2 days, sponge bath the other days. The 3 kids (4,3,2) get a hybrid bath/shower (our TT has a mini bathtub). I wash dishes in washtubs and dump them down the toilet, it helps ease the load on the grey tank. A camper toilet uses much less water when flushing.

Mit678 - you can do what you propose, just be aware if your trailer does not have holding tanks, you probably have a residential style toilet. These are not very compatable with dry camping. At 1.6g (or even 1.25g) per flush, how many flushes before you fill that holding tank? Combined with shower (even navy shower) and sink use it will fill fast. And just as important, how many flushes before you drain your fresh water tank? What I would sugest for dry camping is use the portable blue holding tank for grey only, and get a self contained cassete porta potty.

For more information then you can imagine, check out www.rv.net it is to rvs what this board is for DIY

Last edited by FixitDragon; 03-02-2011 at 09:39 AM.
FixitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote