Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #1

Share |

calking

I recalked my bathroom and it looked great but as it dried the calk cracked. It was bathroom calk. When I redid it I put it on heavier and that time there was no cracking. Will it crack if put on too thin? I'd like to know for the future if that was the problem, or if there was another varible.

debd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #2

calking

Was it a silicone based caulk?

JohnJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

calking

Many caulk joints fail because of poor design, preparation, or use of the wrong material, not from poor materials. Here is a link to a site that shows some joint designs.

http://www.masterwall.com/files/mw14...lantdesign.pdf
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #4

calking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
Was it a silicone based caulk?
Don't recall and no longer have the tube. But it did say it was for bathrooms.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #5

calking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Many caulk joints fail because of poor design, preparation, or use of the wrong material, not from poor materials. Here is a link to a site that shows some joint designs.

http://www.masterwall.com/files/mw14...lantdesign.pdf
Very interesting. I didn't use the bond breaker. I was sealing cracks in the seams. So I pushed the calking into the crack when it would fit. Seems like the rod would become a third side anyways, just convex instead of concave.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
registered

calking

Some caulks are flexable and other aren't. In your case it wasn't meaning no flex. So it cracked. See some dry hard as a rock and others don't meaning dry soft and still flexable. If that makes anysense. I'm not a caulk expert. But i think slicone is the flexable caulk. I know what you mean i have used the bathroom caulk thats the kind that dries hard as a rock. It comes in like a little tube.

Last edited by 747; 08-01-2008 at 12:55 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

calking

If you put it on too thin and there is some movement, you could overstress the caulk and it will tear. Silicones work best for bath/kitchen environments. Highly flexible, very good elongation properties and will adhere well to most surfaces , provided that they are very clean. Caulk doesn't like to stick to other caulks and will rarely adhere well to or through dirt or soap scum. The best bet is to remove all of the old caulk and clean the surface thoroughly. If you are using silicone, wipe the surface with denatured alcohol. After it has dried, then apply the new caulk. Bead widths and thicknesses have to stay within the limits of the caulk. Most manufacturers of quality caulking materials will have that info on the tube or posted on their websites.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote