Cable Cord Hole Too Big. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cable cord hole too big.

this will probably be a easy question for most of you, but i am stumped. years ago when cable outlet was added to living room wall (before i bought this house) the hole thru which the cable would connect is about 1/4 inch too big and the slightest touch causes it to fall away from the wall. how can i make the hole tight enough to hold the cable in place? keep it simple pls, i am a 67 year old grandmother just trying to make what i think is probably a simple fix when given the right directions

Advertisement

lindah67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

cable cord hole too big.

I am not sure that I understand the meaning of "fall away from the wall", but it may not matter.

If you are simply trying to seal the gap between wallboard and the cable wire, and your priority is to keep it simple, try some caulk or silicone.

Advertisement

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 790

cable cord hole too big.

Double sided tape is a silver bullet for little issues like that.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

cable cord hole too big.

You did not state as to whether the cable came in through the floor or a wall. Either way I would suggest buying a small (about 3-4oz) tube of silicone for this. Place the cable where you would like it to be, with enough slack out of the hole if necessary. Maybe tape the cable to a wall to keep it from backing up. Put the silicone around the cable at the hole and allow maybe a full day for it to dry. I'm betting the cable will not be "fall away from the wall" anymore.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote