DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cabinet too shallow for wall oven?

40K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  chandler48 
#1 ·
I'm replacing an older wall oven with a new one and the cabinet depth (front to back) is only 23" while the specs call for 23.5" minimum. I don't have the new oven unit yet to actually see how well it fits but am concerned that my cabinet space is 1/2" too shallow. It looks like I have enough room between the back of the cabinet and the dry wall behind it to just cut out the back of the cabinet, but am concerned about whether that would be acceptable, or if I'd need to install some sort of fire resistant material on the dry wall also to be able to do this. I can't find anything on this in the local code book. Anybody have any experience with this issue? Thanks for any help.

#14 ·
The only way you will know for sure is to talk to the oven manufacturer. Different ovens have different specifications and requirements. Some manufacturers have much stricter requirements and if those aren't met they will void the warranty rapidly.

#4 ·
I'm replacing an older wall oven with a new one and the cabinet depth (front to back) is only 23" while the specs call for 23.5" minimum. I don't have the new oven unit yet to actually see how well it fits but am concerned that my cabinet space is 1/2" too shallow. It looks like I have enough room between the back of the cabinet and the dry wall behind it to just cut out the back of the cabinet, but am concerned about whether that would be acceptable, or if I'd need to install some sort of fire resistant material on the dry wall also to be able to do this. I can't find anything on this in the local code book. Anybody have any experience with this issue? Thanks for any help.
I've never had a wall oven not fit in a wall oven cabinet.
Ron

#5 ·
I have....numerous times, and the worst offenders are the very expensive top end appliances. On some brands, they will not fit into the cabinet without cutting the back of the cabinet out to gain the extra 3/8" or so of depth and/or having to notch into the face frames as the unit needs the full interior width of the cabinet box. As most of our work is high end renovation, and usually ends up with top end appliances; if the owners have not purchased appliances before we install cabinets, I automatically
remove the back before installing the oven cabinet; the face frames are no problem to cut in place.

As others have mentioned, the placement of electrical junction boxes and gas supply lines has also become very critical and brand specific.

I bet things would be different if the person sitting in front of his computer and designing these ridiculous fits would have to spend a year in the field installing them.:yes:

#7 ·
Thanks for all of the replies and feedback. I feel a bit better now, knowing it's common to resolve this issue by cutting out the back of the cabinet.

I also have to cut out the opening to increase the height from current 46+" to 48 7/8". I have about 5 3/8" of space to work with to get the , so I'll still have about 1.3" of clearance top and bottom, which I suppose is adequate. Any thoughts on that? Again, thanks for all the help.

#11 ·
I have the same job to do next week. Fortunately, the home owner bought an oven that will fit (keeping fingers crossed). The existing oven required the previous installer to cut the face frame a little on each side.

However, the new oven will be installed lower in the cabinet. I already have several rails cut with pocket holes on one end. That will make it easy to cut to fit on location and drill two pocket holes and then install.

Actually, the whole cabinet is going to be modified. Thank goodness it will be painted. Modifications will be sanded smooth; should disappear.

Attachments

#12 ·
When we pulled the oven out of the cabinet, we found this! Half of the receptacle was broken and laying in the bottom of the cabinet.

This mess was powering the electronics for the oven, the microwave and the vent hood. :surprise:

The electricians were there to run 240v for the new range and the oven going into the cabinet. They replaced this 120v receptacle and relocated it to the location for the new microwave.

Attachments

#15 ·
Hi everyone,

For those of you talking about installing the appliances and cutting cabinets, etc., would you recommend that a client contact an installer first to have them come look at what's currently in place and what can be done? I moved into a condo with an old Whirlpool wall oven that seems extremely shallow and I am having a very hard time finding something that will fit the dimensions that were required for the current oven, but I'm not sure if there is an ability to add more space/cut into the wall behind it? And if I should have someone come look before buying something new, who would I contact? An appliance installer?

Thanks!
Steph

#16 ·
There obviously are situations where it's possible to modify the cabinet or if you suggested maybe even cut part of the wall away that should only be considered a last resort. By cutting the wall you are affecting the fire resistance of the wall which could quite possibly have code implications. Especially in a condominium you could be doing something that does not meet the requirements of the board.

#17 ·
I'm not surprised that the top brands expect you to splash out more cash on a solution so that their product can fit in your home. But more towards the situation, I'm afraid that you should have considered the depth of the storage cabinet before going ahead to pay the price for the new oven... Why not ask the sales guy for the oven and see what he suggests? Perhaps you could get a refund and look at another unit that might fit to save yourself the trouble?

#19 ·
Many of the regular posters here won’t be paying attention to really old threads, so you will get more responses by creating your own new thread (you can provide a link to this one if it’s of value).

In answer to your question, in our recent kitchen reno I didn’t include the back on the section of the floor to ceiling cabinet that held the wall oven, so there are ways to gain more depth. It made everything easier. The back of the cabinet provides stability against “racking”, which is distortion from its intended rectangular shape. That is only a concern if the cabinet holding the wall oven is standing on its own without other cabinets on at least one side to provide support.

Are you confident that you’re reading the oven specs correctly, to get the depth behind the front face of the cabinet? For example, in the graphic below someone might interpret the depth requirement at 24”, but that’s not the case. Post a link if you want someone to give a second opinion.

Rectangle Material property Parallel Gas Cylinder