Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cabinet too shallow for wall oven?

I'm replacing an older wall oven with a new one and the cabinet depth (front to back) is only 23" while the specs call for 23.5" minimum. I don't have the new oven unit yet to actually see how well it fits but am concerned that my cabinet space is 1/2" too shallow. It looks like I have enough room between the back of the cabinet and the dry wall behind it to just cut out the back of the cabinet, but am concerned about whether that would be acceptable, or if I'd need to install some sort of fire resistant material on the dry wall also to be able to do this. I can't find anything on this in the local code book. Anybody have any experience with this issue? Thanks for any help.

knute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 500

The back of the cabinet is not fire resistant so I don't think that comes into play. Open to the drywall should be fine.

If the cabinet is sandwiched between two other cabinets, it will get it's structural integrity from those.

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,062

Pay careful attention to where the power connection is on the new oven is vs. the old one. Wall ovens don't have a lot of room behind them so junction box placement is critical.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by knute View Post
I'm replacing an older wall oven with a new one and the cabinet depth (front to back) is only 23" while the specs call for 23.5" minimum. I don't have the new oven unit yet to actually see how well it fits but am concerned that my cabinet space is 1/2" too shallow. It looks like I have enough room between the back of the cabinet and the dry wall behind it to just cut out the back of the cabinet, but am concerned about whether that would be acceptable, or if I'd need to install some sort of fire resistant material on the dry wall also to be able to do this. I can't find anything on this in the local code book. Anybody have any experience with this issue? Thanks for any help.
I've never had a wall oven not fit in a wall oven cabinet.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I've never had a wall oven not fit in a wall oven cabinet.
Ron
I have....numerous times, and the worst offenders are the very expensive top end appliances. On some brands, they will not fit into the cabinet without cutting the back of the cabinet out to gain the extra 3/8" or so of depth and/or having to notch into the face frames as the unit needs the full interior width of the cabinet box. As most of our work is high end renovation, and usually ends up with top end appliances; if the owners have not purchased appliances before we install cabinets, I automatically
remove the back before installing the oven cabinet; the face frames are no problem to cut in place.

As others have mentioned, the placement of electrical junction boxes and gas supply lines has also become very critical and brand specific.

I bet things would be different if the person sitting in front of his computer and designing these ridiculous fits would have to spend a year in the field installing them.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troubleseeker For This Useful Post:
tcleve4911 (04-19-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Trouble,
Exactly my thoughts. Whenever I am cutting out the faceframe, I always have to cuss the engineers out. They could allow for another 1/4" of overlap just to make things a little less stressful. And if you don't have the electrical rough in box in the right place, you're in trouble.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the replies and feedback. I feel a bit better now, knowing it's common to resolve this issue by cutting out the back of the cabinet.

I also have to cut out the opening to increase the height from current 46+" to 48 7/8". I have about 5 3/8" of space to work with to get the , so I'll still have about 1.3" of clearance top and bottom, which I suppose is adequate. Any thoughts on that? Again, thanks for all the help.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Trouble,
Exactly my thoughts. Whenever I am cutting out the faceframe, I always have to cuss the engineers out. They could allow for another 1/4" of overlap just to make things a little less stressful. And if you don't have the electrical rough in box in the right place, you're in trouble.
Mike Hawkins
I know what you mean. When I installed our wall oven, I had to enlarge the opening. Quite a "white-knuckle" moment, taking a saw to a $2000 cabinet.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I know what you mean. When I installed our wall oven, I had to enlarge the opening. Quite a "white-knuckle" moment, taking a saw to a $2000 cabinet.
In my case, the face frame is attached to the cabinet box via little L-brackets in the inside corners that are attached with short phillips head screws so it comes right off, and then the frame itself is screwed together with angle screws so it looks like it comes right apart as well. So, I'm planning to take it off, and then apart, make the cuts with a table saw, then put it back together and screw it back into place. Knocking on wood here that it's just that easy . . .