Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #1

Share |

cabinet screw question HELP

I have a cabinet its made out of what i call that particle board the screw ripped out of the particle board and now the hole is to big to put back in how can i re fill the hole and screw the screw back in

ckr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #2

Assuming you are attaching the cabinet to a wall with wood studs... I would pre-drill another hole (a smaller size then the screw) an inch or so above the busted out hole. Then screw back into the stud again. You can probably find some calk or wood filler that would match or could be painted to the necessary color.

I would not recommend filling the hold and putting another screw through the same spot.

flipjarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

You can simply use wooden matchsticks or toothpicks, dip them in white glue, stick them in the hole and break them off flush with the surface. Then install your screw and give it plenty of time to dry.
This is good for lightweight uses, hinges etc., but I wouldn't rely on it to hold a lot of weight as Flipjarg mentioned, especially in particle board.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckr31 View Post
I have a cabinet its made out of what i call that particle board the screw ripped out of the particle board and now the hole is to big to put back in how can i re fill the hole and screw the screw back in
Cut a 1x4 piece of pine the width of the cabinet interior. Glue it over the particle board. Screw through the 1x4 into the stud.
Expecting a screw in particle board to hold a cabinet full of anything is wishful thinking.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (10-05-2010)