Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Share |

Buying pavers - is Lowe's a no-no ?

So I am going to be needing about 400 sq feet worth of pavers. I've decided on Holland stone Pavers. It depends on where you search for opinions but sometimes it seems big-box stores are thought of as sub-par quality.

What do you think? Do they really all come from the same place or is there a difference in quality?

There is a paver, stone, sand and gravel place which actually looks to be slightly closer to me than any Lowe's or Home Depot so I will definitely visit them. The only reason I gave Lowe's a thought is that their prices seem to be low.

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #2

What are they going to be used for ?
A lot of the pavers at big box are thinner then the ones you buy from a place that just deals in pavers etc
But possible you can even buy the the thinner ones at a "Pro" paver store if they are looking to offer a lower cost alternative

I opted for the thicker variety as I drive my truck out back every now & then & don't want them cracking

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Check with the local concrete supply yard, local stone yards, landscapers, etc.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
What are they going to be used for ?
Patio. It will not see vehicle traffic, heaviest item on them will be the concrete block that holds the patio parasol.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #5

You may want to check around and see if there is any type of "transit damage" store for large rocks and stones. There is a local place in NC that any type of shipment that has anything wrong with it is sent and sold for a much cheaper price. Even if the color shade is off a tiny bit, or if 5% of the total pallet has been chipped/broken, they will sent the whole thing.

Great deals if you are lucky enough to have one.
ClumsyCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
remodeling pro

I don't see any problem with the pavers at big boxes. True, they are not a commercial use grade product, but it should not matter for a patio. The most crucial thing to long term life is carefull compaction of a proper sub base. Almost every unhappy patio owner I have seen was the result of someone setting stones in just a sand base to cut costs.

However....the sub base materials will definatley be a lot cheaper if you can but them in bulk from a supply yard. They might not be able to match the big box price exactly on the pavers, as they may be quoting on a higher grade paver, so ask questions and compare not only thickness but strength of cement used in manufacture. If they can get close on total cost, I would pick the professional supplier, hands down.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote