I'm new to this forum -- but suspect I'll be posting here a lot as I go through the process of buying my first home.
After a lot of looking I finally found something that I really liked. I didn't see any issue that stood out too much and I made an offer. The offer was accepted -- this is a short-sale -- so now I must wait for their bank to either approve or deny the offer before I start inspections.
I took a whole bunch of pictures of the house when I looked at it..and looked at them way more closely recently. The home is a split-level and the bottom level is mostly under-ground which includes the garage. The walls in the garage are not finished and you can see the foundation. It does appear to be dis-colored from moisture or moist.
That hole in the floor, which I think is a sump pump pit, has some water and no pump. I thought that it might be a good thing that it hasn't flooded without a pump..and putting a pump in might resolve the issue:
I couldn't see any obvious signs of water damage in the finished area of the basement.
The house is basically built into the side of a hill.
So..If their bank accepts the offer..I'm trying to figure out how I should proceed. I really don't want a huge expense trying to fix this....