Buying Demo Model Woodstove - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Arrow

buying demo model woodstove

Hi,

Last winter we had a few serious power outages and luckily this convinced my spouse to look into buying a wood stove. We live in the Maritimes in Canada and a lot of our friends have wood stoves. But we are originally from Europa and I have no real experience with wood stoves. I went out to a recommended store today and the guy there seemed a bit irritated with all my questions. This was really the first time I started asking questions.

He showed me a few models and I liked them all, except for the price. He showed me a Alderlea T4 he had in the warehouse. He had used it as a show model he said, in the store. I couldn't really see it very well but he gave me a fairly good price.

So I will go back with the intention to buy that show model stove. But before I go what should I pay attention to? How do I know for sure I'm buying a stove that will help us through many more winters?

Advertisement

Greenavenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 694

Getting free wood?
Willing to deal with all the trash dragged when you bring in the wood.
Willing to deal with sooted up walls.
Got a place to store the wood outside so the insects do not get in the house?
Figured out what all the double wall pipe and fittings are going to cost to install it?

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #3

Yeah the wood and the storage, I got that all covered. I'm talking about the stove itself. What do I look for to know I'm buying a good stove?
Old 02-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

If it was just on the floor as a floor model, I would go for it. You have a lot of wiggle room, with the floor models, compared to one that is in the box.

As for soot on the walls, debris being dragged in, that never has happened in the time that my in-laws have owned their place, and used their wood stove, same with friends of their's up in the Land O'Lakes, WI area.

I say go for it, if you want it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Greenavenue (02-22-2014), rusty baker (02-23-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #5

I use Bing for my searches and anything I saw on that model came up mostly positive.
Here's just one of them.
http://www.wiseheat.com/wood-stoves/...lea_t4_classic
Anything your ever trying to deciding on buying it's as simple as searching the make model and adding the word reviews.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #6

Joe, this is true.

Most people on this forum have a form of experience in construction however and most comments on this forum are more what I'm looking for instead of a comment on a website stating 'I didn't like the woodstove' without the reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenavenue For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #7

I've had wood stoves, wood burning furnaces, duel fuels, gas and wood burning fire places and even pellet stoves.
Power goes out where I am now the generator comes on I hit a remote and the gas parlor stove comes on and I do not even have to get out of the chair.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,232

We use our wood stove all the time. I wouldn't recommend getting one just for power outages though. Especially if (obviously), like pellet stoves and some others, it needs electricity to operate. Ours is an older model we got for nothing, and we have a stone chimney. It's in a log house, so fits right into the decor. Still have maybe 5 years' worth of free wood.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
We use our wood stove all the time. I wouldn't recommend getting one just for power outages though. Especially if (obviously), like pellet stoves and some others, it needs electricity to operate. Ours is an older model we got for nothing, and we have a stone chimney. It's in a log house, so fits right into the decor. Still have maybe 5 years' worth of free wood.
You can now get Pellet stoves, that do not rely on electricity to feed the pellets into the burning chamber.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 624

I think you want to go with a time tested manufacturer and model.

I don't know about Canada, but here in the US, it seems that every 10 years, the EPA (environmental protection agency) or some other gov't agency comes out with new rules.

So you go to get parts for your 15 year old stove and they aren't available anymore.

Jotul and Vermont Castings used to be the good names here, and I think Waterford had some products.

I was always more interested in the cast models than the plate steel, because I wanted it to look nice, not to heat a garage or shop.

Another thing that is important to me is how the stove is fed (from the front, side, top, or two of the above. I had a Jotul that fed from the front or top and the top opened up with a foot pedal. When I stepped on that foot pedal, it brought me back to my days in Norway and I realized that was the way to go.

You also want to look at the length of log which the stove will accept, the burn time, and the efficiency.

The length of burn is great as far as re-starting. I lit my stove maybe 7 times in 5 years. It's nice to be able to go somewhere and stay overnight and come home to a somewhat warm house, load up the stove and you are back in business.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:45 AM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

we used wood heat for 5 years, never had soot or insect problems. Moved to town where natural gas was available. Probably will go back to wood next winter. I just like it better. It's much cheaper and we have had a lot of winter time power outages here.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You can now get Pellet stoves, that do not rely on electricity to feed the pellets into the burning chamber.
Interesting. Never heard of that. How exactly are the pellets controlled?

We had a pellet stove in a different house about 20 years ago. Did not care for it. Really wouldn't now, given the cost of pellets.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Interesting. Never heard of that. How exactly are the pellets controlled?

We had a pellet stove in a different house about 20 years ago. Did not care for it. Really wouldn't now, given the cost of pellets.
A little thing called Gravity.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
A little thing called Gravity.
So what tells the stove it's time to drop pellets, and how many? Some sort of thermostatic valve? Can't envision any other way without power.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #15
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,836

I had a wood heater with the glass front, did not like it. They said it would clean itself with air but that didn't work, you couldn't clean that soot off the glass after a while.

I agree that you should look at the burn time and ash clean out is a must without having to shut down the stove. We had a wood burning heater that we could load up at bed time and in the morning just add some more wood, it would still be burning all night. We had a blower on the heater also, loved that stove.

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-24-2014)