Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #1

Share |
Angry

burglary deterrant

Our house was broken into this past weekend...nothing was taken as the culprit met the family dog (poor dog, he scares away a burglar and his reward is that he's now so important to us in that capacity that we'll never take him out for the day)

Anyway, the reason the guy broke into a house with a dog, is because the door to that room was closed as the room isn't dog-proof. When the burglar opened the door into the rest of the house he met Thunder, and ran out the front door.

We all know how burglars work..looking for an eas target, no one home, etc....it happens everywhere and is not likely to happen again, etc....but the wife is now nervous...what can I do inexpensively?
1. dog-proof that room
2. add beware of dog signs?
3. 10' deep fish ponds under all windows?
4. additional lock in front door
5. Sharpen dogs teeth...oh how I wish he bit the guy...

ANY IDEAS?

mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Eibwen

burglary deterrant

Dude... Your house was just broken into and you are looking for cheap?

Stop and think if Thunder was at the poodle parlor that day and your now nervous wife was on the other side of the door that burglar opened.

You need to find out how the burglar broke in and correct it. Perimeter security with good locks and know where the keys have been. Lighting, trimming the bushes, etc..

Call your local police or locksmith.. Most will give a free security check.
My gosh even if the CHARGE for it you and your families safety is at risk.

Dont try and fix it with a "Beware of Dog" sign from the hardware store.

Next time might not end so pretty.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
zel

Send a message via AIM to zel

burglary deterrant

Home security systems, wireless cameras, communication with neighbors, and lastly, consider proper training and ownership of a firearm. I recently took a firearm safety course and bought a semi-automatic gun. I feel much safer knowing that if someone comes in, in the middle of the night, I wont be defenseless.
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #4

burglary deterrant

Dude.......Thunder is 100lbs with quite a bark and distaste for strangers....he doesn't go to poodle parlors. Burglars want a quick and easy score, it wasn't a home invasion...my home ain't worth it. I left a window open and he kicked the screen in because he didn't know there was a dog in the next room.

Get a gun? My first thought was "good thing there's no guns in the house" he could have taken it, he could be in the huse with it, my nervous wive could now shoot me when I come home late.....

I guess I'll settle for sharpening his teeth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mt232 For This Useful Post:
LEROYDOZOIS (10-07-2010), Willie T (08-25-2010)
Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
zel

burglary deterrant

Say what you want...I'd rather have one and never need it, then need it and not have it.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #6

burglary deterrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt232 View Post

Get a gun? My first thought was "good thing there's no guns in the house" he could have taken it, he could be in the huse with it, my nervous wive could now shoot me when I come home late.....
Exactly!

Spend your $1000 on better lighting and locks, rather than on a handgun and training. There are very few times the gun will be useful in protecting your home, and the locks and lighting will help everytime, whether you're home or not. Plus, locks won't kill your kids/family members. Guns in the home are much more likely to injure the residents than an intruder. They make some people FEEL safer, and if that's what you're after, then fine. But they don't actually make you safer.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #7

burglary deterrant

Quote:
2. add beware of dog signs?
don't know if it's still true...but a few years back (don't ask for references, I don't have one), a home owner put up the signs, someone on the property got bit by the dog. The bitee sued the HO, and won since the HO knew that the dog had a tendency to be aggressive, he should of taken more precaution to restrain the dog. Moral of the story, if you think you dog would/could bite...it's probably better for the trespasser to learn on their own, rather than advertise it on a sign.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #8

burglary deterrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
don't know if it's still true...but a few years back (don't ask for references, I don't have one), a home owner put up the signs, someone on the property got bit by the dog. The bitee sued the HO, and won since the HO knew that the dog had a tendency to be aggressive, he should of taken more precaution to restrain the dog. Moral of the story, if you think you dog would/could bite...it's probably better for the trespasser to learn on their own, rather than advertise it on a sign.
I wonder if that's more urban legend than truth. With most property issues, you have LESS liability if you warn people of a hazard, especially if they have no business on your property anyways. I'm not lawyer though. Sometimes the law doesn't obey common sense.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #9

burglary deterrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
I wonder if that's more urban legend than truth. With most property issues, you have LESS liability if you warn people of a hazard, especially if they have no business on your property anyways. I'm not lawyer though. Sometimes the law doesn't obey common sense.
Could be, dunno. I do know though that in the rural areas (read farm ground) if someone trespasses on your property, posted or not and they get hurt, you ARE responsible...that just never seemed right to me.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #10

burglary deterrant

Thunder is a golden retriever, so he's more likely to lick someone to death.....but a 100lb male dog of any kind, has enough bark to scare most away......even just because of the noise created....alerting the neighbors. If I understand properly, a tresspaser is at his own risk when it comes to dogs or firearms. And I also thought that putting up signs also reminds the oil delivery guy to close the gate behind him.

With due respect to the gun owners, for myself I believe they pose a greater risk then security device....I was looking for the lighting/locks suggestions. We are making sure that the dog can be seen/and he can see someone from any window or entry point of the house
Old 09-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #11

burglary deterrant

I'm pretty sure someone was going to try to break into my place recently (would've been a baaaad idea for them..). The neighbor's dog is likely what scared them. But to satisfy my fiance (and myself a little bit), I beefed up our way lacking defenses.

I put in motion sensor lights on the sides and lights that stay on all night (flood lights) so my property is always lit. Good deterrants. But, if someone came in, it's nice to know that I have more than a knife to take care of the situation

You can get a million different items to help you here, all the way from basics like dogs / guns, to a high tech installed security system. I'd personally opt for those ghetto window panel alarms, the ones where when you open / cross the window they just screech. Or a motion sensing alarm, it has a code and you gotta put in your #'s when leaving/getting home (it's a cheap $20 unit at home depot). I'm also planning to find one of those cool 'house is protected by smith and wesson' stickers for some of the most likely entry points, only I need to find a ruger/mossberg one for it to feel right
joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #12

burglary deterrant

Quote:
If I understand properly, a tresspaser is at his own risk when it comes to dogs or firearms. And I also thought that putting up signs also reminds the oil delivery guy to close the gate behind him.

With due respect to the gun owners, for myself I believe they pose a greater risk then security device....I was looking for the lighting/locks suggestions. We are making sure that the dog can be seen/and he can see someone from any window or entry point of the house
It varies state by state. I know in MA when I got my carry permit that, at the training course, it was made very explicit that you can only shoot if you're going to be killed or suffer great bodily injury (or if someone else is going to be subjected to that). If you wake up and a man is walking out of your front door with your box of jewelry, you can't just shoot him in the back. That was in MA, but I'm pretty sure some other states have more of a 'if they're on your property, that's that' attitude. But I don't know much about those (I'm in FL right now, prolly should find out proper etiquette..).

But if you're just looking for lighting/locking suggestions, just make sure all your entry doors are properly deadbolted with strong units. For lighting, make it light everywhere. I have lights on all night out front (1 incandescent and 1 flood light) so that my property is bright from the street, and the sides are dark, but they're rigged to double halogen bulb fixtures on motion sensors, so if you did walk up the brightness would double lol!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
zel

burglary deterrant

Quote:
But, if someone came in, it's nice to know that I have more than a knife to take care of the situation
Old 09-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #14

burglary deterrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel View Post
Hell yeah! It's just the choice between a hand cannon or a pump action
Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #15

burglary deterrant

We installed a doggie door and an underground fence for our dog about a year ago because I was tired of having to let him out every time he needed to go. Now there is very little that goes on around our house late at night that he dosen't let us know about (much to our teenagers dismay).

scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scrapiron For This Useful Post:
Willie T (08-25-2010)