Building A Wrought Iron Gate? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a Wrought Iron Gate?

I want to put in a 12' X 6' Wrought iron gate (two panel dual swing) beside my house. I got prices for them from some local shops and they want betweeen $900-$1100 for them and thats not including installation? I know I am capable of building one for much, much cheaper...My only problem is I have to build it to match my other existing walk thru gate and I'm wondering if someone knows where I might find the ornamental iron pieces I need?

Thanks, JB

Advertisement

CptSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Most shops I've seen fabricate their own out of flat stock using jigs and a torch.
Posting a picture might help as noone here knows the design you're trying to duplicate.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #3

I guess some pics would help...I am away from home at the moment but I asked the wife to send me some then I will post them. It's basically a 1"X1" square tube frame with and ornamental decorative iron arch on the top and a corigated steel panel on the front...
Old 04-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #4

Sorry about the poor quality but I had to get these with my cell phone. Had issues with my digital camera. This is the walk through gate on the opposite side of the house...I need to match the gates I want to build to this.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a Wrought Iron Gate?-gate-1.jpg   Building a Wrought Iron Gate?-gate-2.jpg   Building a Wrought Iron Gate?-gate-3.jpg  
Old 04-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 266

You should let the person who quoted you a thousand to fabricate it before they change their mind.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote