Building A Tile Shower - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a tile shower

I am building a new home, and I am building a walk in, tiled shower. It is going in a master bathroom which is 6'X16'. The shower will be at the far end of the bathroom.

Most of these types of showers do not have any doors, but a friend recommended I put a door on it, to keep the steam in for warmth??

The shower is going to be 42" wide, 6' long, and the door/opening will be at one end. I am going to frame the shower to the ceiling, tile and sheetrock the exterior, and of course tile the interior.

What size door do they make for something like this, and what would the rough in dimensions be.

Thanks

Advertisement

ghostrider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Building a tile shower

The best thing you could do is pick out the door you want and get the exact meaurements of the unit or better purchase the door so you have it..

Advertisement

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Building a tile shower

Most shower door units have a couple inches of adjustment allowed by the type of hinge they use, so decide how big a door you want( I'd go 27-30" for a shower this big) then look at the differences in quality among the price range for this size units. A Lowes or HD is a good place to do this, as they have multiple units on display racks, allowing you to operate the doors. You will readily see that the quality is directly related to the price. More $ will have thicker glass, sturdier extrusions (very obvious in the flimsiness of the door itself), and better looking and more durable finishes on the extrusions. If this is your first experience, I agree with the suggestion that you buy a door first, become familiar with the dimensions as explained in the installation manuel, then frame the RO, allowing for the thickness of the tile, the backer board and 1/8" for thinset on each side. A local glass shop can fabricate a door in any size you want, no matter how odd the dimension, but it will be more costly than a boxed unit.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote