Building Is Settling...wall Separating From Ceiling...need Ideas! - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Building is settling...wall separating from ceiling...need ideas!

Okay my Uncle owns a condominium and the building is quite old. As a result, in one section the wall has begun to separate from the ceiling. At the largest there is about a 2" gap, which gradually decreases. He intends to sell the place sometime soon and naturally the realtor wants this fixed first.

My initial thought was to fill the area with silicon for a base, let it dry, and then use SHEETROCK® Brand All-Purpose Joint Compound to fill in the rest, possibly using multiple layers as needed. I would then sand it down so it is flush with both the wall and the ceiling.

Then, once this is all done and painted, etc. I was going to put up crown moulding to cover any imperfections.

Experts: Does this plan seem sound? Will it work? Does anyone have any other suggestions? If it is a good plan is there a specific type of silicon I should use? Any ideas and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by Wolfies167; 09-29-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: typo
Wolfies167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #2

Well I will take the fall for this one. The problem with the settling needs to be repaired proffessionaly. Would you be willing to purchase the property, not knowing about a covered up fault? We are reworking our home with faults hidden from the home inspector and never revealed by the realestate handeler. It was a repo house. We have spent thousands, and are not finished spending more money. We cannot honestly do that to the next buyer. Your uncle needs to rethink the situation.

Advertisement

PLAIN O TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

2" is too big a gap to fill with compound and expect it to hold. Your best bet is to find a piece of molding to cover it and there is no need to fill it if you do that. Just caulk to the new trim. I agree that you will probably have to disclose that the building has settled so much but will leave that to the real estate folks in your area.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is this an interior wall? exterior?
Are there Condo's above & below with the same problem?
This could be a bigger problem then you think
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #5

Okay, the ethics involved are definitely not up to me...I am just trying to help, but I do understand the concerns and they are 100% legitimate. I do not know if anyone else in the building is experiencing the issue. It is an interior wall and the condo is on the 2nd floor of the building, which has 4 levels including the basement. Unfortunately if the building is settling what could a professional do? He is not going to pay to have the foundation of the building corrected...etc...just not sure how to go about the ethical concerns...
Wolfies167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,052

Ask your Realtor. He/she may know the best course of action from a similar experience. May involve a Structural Engineer, a disclosure statement, home inspector, possibly an Attorney, etc.
Be safe, Gary

Advertisement

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote