Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,030

Building mobile guest house.

I am contemplating building a guest house, only thing is town won't allow second dwelling. But you can have a camper. Looked at campers and can not find one that suits my wishes. So am thinking about building my own. Have looked into different 'tiny homes on wheels' things like the weebee and others. They are basically a insulated shed/house on a car hauler trailer.

Maximum width is 8'-6" to meet road regulations. So I think 2x2 walls like most campers have. Using 1.5" styrofoam insulation (R7.5), low rib metal on outside running horizontally, plywood paneling glued on inside.

I want 8' inside or close to it for my floor plan.

1. Is that the best insulation I can get in that thin an space? What about the reflective bubble wrap stuff. My research on the web seems to say it is not very usefull.

2. Is there a better stronger wall system I should be thinking of? Thought aluminum but would be costly to do. Way back I renovated a trailer that had 1" X 3" actual measurements on the studs

3. Any ideas on the siding instead of low rib metal? It is 3/8". I looked into the actual trailer siding but it is over $5 sf plus shipping to get it to me from the states.

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
I am contemplating building a guest house, only thing is town won't allow second dwelling. But you can have a camper. Looked at campers and can not find one that suits my wishes. So am thinking about building my own.
Then you'll have to ALSO meet whatever standards your state will require to title and register and tag and get insurance... that is a tall order.

Better to find an actual and rather beat up POS trailer that you can remake.
---
In my RV my interior wall studs were made with fir strapping I cut down even more (to about 1/14" x 3/4"). As to insulation (unless the plan is for 12 month use) keep it simple. I used 3/4" foamular on the floor along with 1/4" lauan as underlay for vinyl sheet.

Have you seen what I did for the bathroom/shower?
Well, whatever you do be sure to think about waste lines in your yard.

hth

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,270

That is a really neat little house on wheels, but $48,000 is just a little over the top in my book. I built a teardrop camper and used 1/8 inch plywood both sides over 1X1 1/2" with rigid styrofoam sandwiched. I did have aluminum on the outside though. That was a strong wall just like a hollow core door is. I insulated the walls, roof and floor. I also water proofed the underside of the floor. If you buy a new trailer you can get it registered and tagged then you can just build on the trailer. If that is a problem just make the little house where it is able to be removed.

There are other ways to cover your walls and roof other than aluminum.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #4

This may be used in winter with -30celcius temps, if I can build it warm enough.

Your aluminum siding how did it attach? Are there other better/cheaper/easier methods?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,270

You may want to go a little better on the insulation being that cold. The aluminum was glued on with contact cement and fastened with a aluminum trim piece on the edges. The glue will not hold as the aluminum will expand and contract and the glue will let loose.

There are different things you can use for the siding, there are fiberglass sheets, and other materials. Some of the fellows who built the teardrop campers made their sides like a strip canoe and finished it clear and it really did look good. Some just used a rubberized type of exterior, some just painted the plywood. Here is a link to the Teardrop site, you can take a look on there and maybe get some ideas, I know the folks there will be glad to help you, they are some good folks.
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/index.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,054

Minis 30 deg? and how would you supply this with water if it's that cold?
I'd be looking for a used Airstream, Hoiliday Rambler, or Acrosry (yes I know it's miss spelled)
There far better insulated and have enclosed under carrages with heat vents that keep the water and sewer tanks from freezing.
It would end up being far cheaper then buying all the parts to make one.
Look on Craigs list and Ebay.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #7

Jiju - thanks for the link
Joe - I do not see how those campers are well insulated.

I am thinking Water and sewer would come underground from the house via insulated piping.

maybe go 2" styrofoam - R10 my house only has R12 fiberglass which isn't really R12

Last edited by mae-ling; 01-26-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,054

Some of the older one in the brands I suggested had 3" of insulation in the walls and 6" in the floors, 3/4 thick real plywood floors, real wood paneling.
I've lived in an Airstream for a whole winter in VA and was never cold.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-26-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

The planning dept will not allow you to build a guest house, but I'd bet they will allow a "studio" for your personal use. You don't want all that artist paint in the house after all. Just don't install your stove until after you have all inspections completed.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Trying to play cat and mouse with building departments is dangerous. And once on the wrong side of them, you are sunk for anything you may want to do in the future. A camper does not have even semi-permanent electrical or plumbing. Such things will be spotted.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Trying to play cat and mouse with building departments is dangerous. And once on the wrong side of them, you are sunk for anything you may want to do in the future. A camper does not have even semi-permanent electrical or plumbing. Such things will be spotted.
True say, but what they are really concerned with is the bldg being turned into a rental unit, or in the case of a country property, a severance altogether. If it is truly for the property owners own use, calling it an art studio and then having the occasional guest sleep over is not going to bother anyone
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #12

Many here have campers that they rent out.