Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Building a large Fish Tank - How?

I have a nice 80 gallon fish tank but have come to the realization that it's wayyyyy to heavy for the floor that it currently is sitting on. Unfortunately there's no way to add supplementary support to the floor joists from below.

I do have a framed ledge in the basement however that should support a new fish tank. Problem is that the ledge is more square in shape than rectangular, so my existing tank won't fit.

Does anyone have any experience building their own glass fish tank?

Encouraging or DIScouraging words welcome!

darenrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I've had a saltwater aquarium for over 12 years
Looked into building one, but I will never attempt it
Maybe with a small tank, but not a big one

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

You can build your own fish tank from a variety of materials including: glass, acrylic, and plywood. You can do a google search and it should turn up all sorts of information. Another good place to look is your local library or fish specialty store (not petsmart or petco). However it usually is not cost effective to build your own aquarium. You can usually purchase used tanks for about a $1.00 a gallon or less or simply buy new. Whatever you decide to do fill them up outside and let them sit for a couple of days to check for leaks. Theres nothing worse then comming home from a long day at work to find 120 gallons of water has leaked out of your tank and into your house.

If your going to do a saltwater tank buy new as many invertabrets are sensitive to additives such as copper. Buy as big as you can and invest in a good filtration system such as a bioball set up.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I have an 80 gal with a 20 gal homemade sump. The sump has fallen apart several times, and I have experimented with different things, and still have to rebuild it. The current sump is a 20 gal glass tank with acrylic dividers. The only joints that are holding up are the joints that are solvent welded. Aquarium silicone and marine epoxy have both failed. My new plan is to build an all acrylic sump with solvent welds everywhere. To sum it up, I am learning as I go, and paying for it in the long run. It is more of an issue now of stubborn determination to get it right. If I would just give up and buy a commercially made one, I would probably save some cash and headache.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote