Building A Deck Over 3 Utility Trenches - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Building a deck over 3 utility trenches

Getting ready to build a deck this summer. Where the deck will be (back yard as usual) I have three utility trenches coming into the house about 3 feet apart from each other, they are gas/water/sewer and are buried 4 feet deep. Frost line here is 36-40 inches. I really have no choice but to build over these trenches being carefull of digging the post holes. Opinions on this ??

Advertisement

raam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Be sure that the utility company isn't claiming an easment. It would be a shame to lose your deck if they decide to pull new lines. Even though an easement is on your property, the owner of the easment has rights to it.

Just be sure not to encapsulate any of the utilities in concrete and you should be ok.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Be sure that the utility company isn't claiming an easment. It would be a shame to lose your deck if they decide to pull new lines. Even though an easement is on your property, the owner of the easment has rights to it.

Just be sure not to encapsulate any of the utilities in concrete and you should be ok.
Thanks for the reply. The gas company has an easement right but only on the 2" main in our field. Our utility trench is 800 feet and we had to give them permission for an easement out there but not around our house. We own the field as well and it's basically a formality if we ever develop it. Ok so if that's not an issue then I can only guess a leak or something would be a problem under a deck which really is nothing I can plan for.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Custom Deck Builder

Call a utility locate service 3 days before you dig. They'll come out and spray paint lines where the utility lines are located so you don't bust a line digging your holes.

Just google or dexonline "Utility Locate Service your city your state"

Mac
BuiltByMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC View Post
Call a utility locate service 3 days before you dig. They'll come out and spray paint lines where the utility lines are located so you don't bust a line digging your holes.

Just google or dexonline "Utility Locate Service your city your state"

Mac
Yes definitly. I was there when they dug all the trenches. The gas company layed a tracer wire. The sewer and water are going to be more difficult. No As-Builts were done as we don't live in a neighborhood (weren't required) and I know that the trenches were off from the original drawings. I have pics though. Even in the field the entire trenches were 10 feet off from what I think was on the drawing. No survey was needed by the county, just a simple line drawing.