Building Codes In NC?? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Building codes in NC??

Can anyone tell me how to find a copy of the building codes for NC. I was told to contact the department of insurance but they said they dont have a copy in the local office and are not sure of the website...... I need to make sure my shed is up to code. P.S. anyone know if ineed a permet for 120 sq ft shed?? I can easily call about that though.

Thanks

Advertisement

organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Building codes in NC??

Your library MIGHT have them?

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,134

Building codes in NC??

In most of the civilized world, a shed of 120 sf or less would not need a permit or have to meet code, but it is wise to build it properly and not cheaply.

Your local code office should have a reference copy of the current code (can't take it with you). They have to buy the code and since building codes and permits are not a profit generator, they minimize the overhead cost (free codes), because they spend more on inspections than they get for permits (most offices). The municipalities just adopt the codes that are basically written by volunteer members (inspectors, engineers, architects, suppliers, contractors, etc.). They get a minimal number of codes anf have to buy the rest from the publisher.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Building codes in NC??

Probably the easiest way is to just ask your local inspector what is needed to build your shed. If there are any "codes" he will tell you what to build to.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #5

Building codes in NC??

The code won't likely give you the info you need. Different municipalities within the same state have different requirements for setbacks, square footages, heights and what needs a permit and what doesn't. Best to call the building department and discuss the code and any local ordinances you need to be aware of.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #6

Building codes in NC??

I already have the set back infor and am just gonna call about the permit requirements. I really would just like to have a copy of the codes, even if unnecessary for this project. I might want to build a deck or finish a room in my basement and would generally just like the ability to have access to codes.

On the other topic is the only way to know if I need a permit to just call and ask? Like say I want to remove a non bearing wall to combine my kitchen/eating area for example. Or do you basically need permits for any changes like this done??
Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

Building codes in NC??

"In most of the civilized world, a shed of 120 sf or less would not need a permit." Well, I do know for a fact that in my county, and three others, way down here in S. GA. anything over nine (9) square foot requires a permit. Why nine square feet? When a well is drilled here, they pour a concrete pad to hold the well casing and it is nine square feet. Anything over that needs a permit. Ironically, IF you want to build a "well house" to keep a jet pump or your electrical wiring out of the elements, you will need a permit to cover that nine square feet of concrete. Permits=money. Any way I look at it. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Building codes in NC??

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineerin...ices_sales.asp
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #9

Building codes in NC??

isn't there a place I can view the codes without purchasing?? did not realize it was 100 plus dollars
Old 10-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #10

Building codes in NC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
isn't there a place I can view the codes without purchasing?? did not realize it was 100 plus dollars
Just City Hall or the library. Code books are not cheap. And they're certainly not available for free.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote