Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a Bench- HELP!

Hello!

We are in the middle of a major backyard makeover and are trying to take on some of the projects to save some money! I would really appreciate any help/ ideas that could be offered! Thanks you in advance!

Currently there is a 50 foot long by 5 foot high retaining cinderblock wall in our backyard. The concrete footing on this retaining wall is 2 1/2 feet.

Building a Bench- HELP!-p1040765.jpg

I would like to build a cinderblock bench along the whole length of the wall. The cinderblocks would be placed on top of the already existing footing. Would this be a problem?

My major concern is that building a bench on top of the existing footing would somehow disrupt the existing retaining wall.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Norma

Last edited by NormaDIY; 10-11-2011 at 01:39 AM.
NormaDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Building a Bench- HELP!

Sorry, but is there a question here? If you want further input, post some pictures.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #3

Building a Bench- HELP!

Please see attached picture. Thanks, Norma
Old 10-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Building a Bench- HELP!

You do not have enough room, due to distance from the pool to the wall. You would have to tear that wall out and rebuild it further. Plus if it was me, I would use tumbled stone for the wall, vs concrete block.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #5

Building a Bench- HELP!

The plan is to build a bench in front of the retaining wall. There is plenty of room in front of the retaining wall to build a bench. We are looking to build a bench that is 18 inches high and 16 inches wide. The retaining wall that you see in the picture has a 2 1/2 feet concrete footing.

We are going to be removing the concrete pool patio and replacing it with pavers. The retaining wall concrete footing ( 2 1/2 feet ) will be exposed at this time.

The question I am asking: Is it possible for me to build a cinderblock bench on top of the exisiting concrete footing? Or would this somehow interfere with the structure of the retaining wall??
Old 10-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Building a Bench- HELP!

You have to consider that you need at least 3 to 4 feet of traffic space between the bench and the pool edge. How much room is between the edge of the pool and the current retaining wall? As for placing the bench on top of the wall, yes you could do that, but keep in mind, that normal height should be no more than 18" from the top of the bench to the deck of the pool surround.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Is this wire Hot?

Rewards Points: 158

Building a Bench- HELP!

It's hard to get a perspective from your photo. If that is a 5' wall then that is one gi-normous swimming pool!

Are you saying that your footing is 2-1/2' wide? deep? both? Is it reinforced with rebar? Is the current wall centered on the footer? Are there weep holes in the wall to prevent static water buildup? You wouldn't want to cover those up.

Providing the above info would help the engineers (of which I am not one) on this site to help you.
Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,486

Building a Bench- HELP!

I think some of the confusion is that what you are describing as a 'footing' is actually just concrete pad in front of the cinder block wall. Typically, a 'footing' is the support structure under something...hence, we should not be able to see the footing under your block wall. So, when you say "2 1/2' footing", I think most of us are thinking you have a concrete beam (footing) 2 1/2' deep under that wall. Which has no real bearing on the bench seat you want to install.

I agree with the others....we need more pics.....like one from the side.....

But even without the pic....I'm thinking you would be better off with a less permant bench seat...maybe consider something made of wood...maybe teak?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote