Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Broken Power Pack VPower by Stat Power

Hello guys who know what the hell there doing!!! I have this power back by a company called stat power.. Its very old 2002 but has only been used maybe 3-4 times.. I used it fine during sandy it is a 300 watt ac dc inverter battery generator. It is great can charge cell phones for hours and hours and lap tops etc. I went to plug it in for the ice in north east and the signal light where it says its charging just blinked on and off on and off.. it was simply not charging. I did put it away with a full charge a while back.. I probably should have kept it charging every month i know i know. .Any where I took it apart.. there is a battery "duh" and a circuit board.. So i decided to cut the cord in two and i placed one end where the initial AC plug went and than I placed the other end to where the solder lead went to.. THE LIGHT STAYED STEADY!!! it says charging. Now is it just saying its charging cause I did something wrong or could have the female piece where the ac plug just could of gone bad>?? IF and only IF after I let it charge for 20 hrs.. If it holds a charge.. I plan on soldering it directly where i have it now.. does it make sence to do this.. Please anyone who knows anything about these power packs please help me cause I love this damn thing and they DO NOT make it anymore..

DIY GUY123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

The batteries in that pack need to be replaced, or the inverter circuit is shot. You got lucky to get 12 years out of it. Go buy a new one.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
DIY GUY123 (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #3

I realize the battery may be shot but if it holds a charge than it may be fixed right??
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY GUY123 View Post
I realize the battery may be shot but if it holds a charge than it may be fixed right??
It is 12 years old. You need to just ecycle it, and purchase a newer unit. At that age, Capacitors start drying out, along with the batteries inside.

The newer units are much better, last a lot longer then that old dinosaur that you have.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #5

I would totally agree with you except for the fact that it has only been used 3-4 times in its life span!! Doesn't that make a difference!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #6

Please show me a unit that is like mine but is not those Duracell packs and I would be gladly interested please
Old 02-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Please show me a unit that is like mine but is not those Duracell packs and I would be gladly interested please
You can find them any place. That includes the local battery shops in your town.

Really if only using 3-4 times in its lifespan, it never paid for itself, and did nothing but dry out the capacitors & batteries, from sitting there.

Here you go. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...y%2Caps%2C1296

Last edited by gregzoll; 02-11-2014 at 08:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
DIY GUY123 (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #8

Probably true but I never paid for it! Found it in a storage unit and it was unopened not used:/
Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 252

Then the unit owes you nothing. Batteries don't last forever, yours are most likely shot. Commercial and public buildings have to change batteries in emergency lighting wall packs all the time and they're hardly ever used except to test them 2x a year. The purpose for an emergency backup is for it to be there, working, when you need it most. Your unit no longer fills that role.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #10

Well guys you are wrong! I charged her up 25 hrs it held charge and it's been charging my cellphone laptop and running fan now for 8 hrs!! I'm shocked
Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #11
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Well guys you are wrong! I charged her up 25 hrs it held charge and it's been charging my cellphone laptop and running fan now for 8 hrs!! I'm shocked
Nope,.... I'd say yer Lucky,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
I'm shocked
Pardon the pun.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoyizit For This Useful Post:
DIY GUY123 (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #13

Well sorry for not trusting you guys. She is done. She took a total **** not coming back. Should have listened to you guys. Welp I recycled her and said it's been a good 12 yrs !! Thanks gentleman !!