Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #1

Share |

Broken Patio Door Lock. Please Help!

I just realized that my sliding patio door lock is broken, so the door is unable to be locked. Does anyone know an easy solution? I need to get this fixed tonight. Thanks!

je524229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Cut a piece of stick and lay it in the bottom track to prevent the sliding panel from moving.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Cut a piece of stick and lay it in the bottom track to prevent the sliding panel from moving.
Ditto.

People often use this in addition to the slider's actual lock.

Best peice of lumber is to use a 2x2 (1-1/2" x 1-1/2") or a thick dowel (closet rod type). Measure the width and length of the track and head down to your local Home Improvement store.....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
distant galaxi renegade

Last summer was working for a REALLY nice lady whose slider latch/lock was broken - she too used the damn pole idea, a pain in the arse. She was told by the "door people" that she needed a whole new slider. Now generally I woulda said,
"That's a shame"
and be done with the subject. But as I said, I like this old gal, and could not believe it wasn't an easy fix. So I took some measurements of the screw spacings and a digital picture of the handle and since I was going to Lowe's anyway, took a look around. $18.00 for an exact replacement. Took me all of 20 minutes to replace. She worships me now No, it was a pleasure to take care of this for her.
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Last summer was working for a REALLY nice lady whose slider latch/lock was broken - she too used the damn pole idea, a pain in the arse....

How could something so simple, so traditional, so EASY...be a pain???

In the house I grew up in, My dad installed a 2x2 in the slider track as an additional measure of security. It was simple, effective, and completely functional...How in the world could that be a pain....It never was for our household....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-06-2007 at 09:52 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
distant galaxi renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
How could something so simple, so traditional, so EASY...be a pain???

I am guessing you still have your youth and your back.

OK, maybe not a pain in the arse - I set my sights a little low Leaning over to pick the stick up every time you want to unlock the door is not as easy as flipping a lever, especially for those whose back is tenuous. And then you have to put the stick somewhere when not in use, it usually gets kick around the room OR you leave it propped up in slider track, only to have it fall and LOCK the door when you've just gone outside. We have a stick that is hinged at the bottom and a little tension clip to keep it up. That clip when used is always bending and becomes ineffective. We don't use it anymore, except for vacations. For security, the stick is best. For everyday convenience, the handle is better, IMO.

Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote