Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,004

Broken metal swing question with pics.

I have this swing that I want to make a quick repair on. As you can see in the pictures the metal rod rusted through. I want to replace this rod with a length of chain. I have a picture in my mind of the hardware piece I need to attach the chain to the bolt in the arm of the swing but can't find it or a name for it. That is what I need help with. A chain will attach easily to the spring above, no problem there.
Attached Thumbnails
Broken metal swing question with pics.-p1000607.jpg   Broken metal swing question with pics.-p1000608.jpg   Broken metal swing question with pics.-p1000609.jpg   Broken metal swing question with pics.-p1000610.jpg  

Last edited by Jim F; 08-29-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,042

Most likly what your looking for is an eye bolt.
Going to have to mount it from the top not the side or it's going to bend and rip out the metal on the arm rest.
Use a washer on it and an elastic stop nut. Try to find a welded eye not one just bent over.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Jim F (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #3

Yeah I think your right Joe. The eyebolt is my best option. Something like a towing shackle was what I was thinking about before but that would just be too expensive.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

A spring such as the one you have it readily available from sources such as "Fastenal, "Grainger", and "McMaster-Carr". Good strength and more flexibility than an eye bolt.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

jim, I'm not sure I understand all I know about this. You and joe plan on drilling a vertical hole thru the arm and attaching chain to eye bolt ? How will you attach chain to eye? S hook? I like your shackle idea better, you'll need a lomger bolt but if you can get a wide enough shackle to fit over arm it will pull on both ends of bolt. I've seen a whole lot of those where the bolt hole is rusted and pulled all out of shape on the weight side.Sometimes bolt rotates in hole wearing away at hole, homemade metal tube bushings help there., You could use a chain with links big enough for bolt to pass thru, washers against chain and nylon insert stop nut, or proper length bushing, so it doesn't have to be snugged against chain. Or S hook on end of chain, bend in so won't slip off chain, blt thru other end of S bent to stay on bolt. And if you turn those bolts around so nut is on outside, less chance of sumbudy snagging themself on that bolt end.
Had to edit, had another idea. At Hardware store you'll find mending plates, (not the thin ones for wood construction, thicker for machinery repairs) among them are short lengths of flat metal stock with a hole at each end, depending on length more holes. Find one of width near that of the rusted rod, holes big enuff for your bolt and long enuff to have hole at one end bolted to sound part of rod and swing bolt thru hole at bottom end. Two holes and bolts on the rod end would keep plate from swinging at that end. I'd best go B4 I have more brilliant ideas. You got any rope you're not usin layin around? You could.....see what I mean?

Last edited by notmrjohn; 09-01-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Had another idea
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #6

Done. Here are some pics. Thanks to all for help. Now, the seat is ripped out. Truthfully this swing is ready for the landfill but it is still built better than anything they sell nowadays so I am seriously considering fixing the seat next. My daughter has autism and is very hard on furniture so I will keep this swing in service as long as I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Broken metal swing question with pics.-p1000611.jpg   Broken metal swing question with pics.-p1000612.jpg   Broken metal swing question with pics.-p1000613.jpg