Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #1

Share |

Brick wall in my basement

I've always wanted to have a brick wall inside my house (the type you see in some brownstones and loft-style NY apts.) I just have no idea where to begin -

like first, do I need to change the sheetrock, does it matter,
I have baseboard heating, does that matter,

i've heard 'old brick' is better because it's softer

and I've heard that it's fairly easy to do, but where could I buy the special 'brick veneer' i've heard about which is suppose to beand the thinset. Or maybe what the costs would be to have it done by a professional. I just need some direction.

diyinjerseycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #2

Brick wall in my basement

Hopefully they'll move this to the general forum or the building forum, which is where you want to post questions to get them seen.

Your baseboard heat will probably have to move a little. Is it steam or electric? If it is electric it isn't too tough in most cases.

If you want to create a brick veneer, you should probably use cultured stone bricks, just like you mentioned. Real brick would be problematic, and you'll never be able to tell the difference. I'd suggest removing the sheetrock and applying 1/2" wonderboard or hardieboard (cement backerboard). I'd tape the seams with tilebacker tape and thinset, and would bed the bricks in some sort of thinset. Defer to the stone manufacturer's recommendations for that.

Look for cultured stone suppliers in your area. Box stores won't have it. You might also call brick suppliers.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote