Brick Mortar Issues Or Foundation? Advice Needed. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

brick mortar issues or foundation? Advice needed.

Let me preface this by saying that I am seeking out a professional to give me a final opinion. However, I like to be somewhat educated prior to talking to someone.

About a year and a half ago I noticed some spaces in my brick where it had separated from the mortar. I have posted some pics below to show you the pattern. There are no long stair step patterns and none of the brick look like they have cracked in half. The spaces have not worsened over the last year. The fascia has tilted some away from the brick facade. Their is no separation towards the bottom of the brick close to foundation. Inside the house there is some evidence of the crown molding off the sheet rock. This is only on the front part of the house where my chimney is. What are your thoughts based on what you see? Any advice on what I can do to fix?

Photos:

this is the front of my house....the front yard does slope down.

this is what is going on on the left side (notice brick) also notice where i "tried" to fill in the gap between window frame and brick. This window will be replaced relatively soon.

this is on the same side as pic above

this is what is going on directly on the other side (right side of the first pic above) not as bad as the other side.

looking straight ahead at the front of the house, this is above the left window.

Advertisement

wadegpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,274

Ayuh,... Yer pictures are too Big, resize 'em to 640x480, or you'll get NO responses...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Wade,
Hard to really tell from the pics what's going on there. It seems like most of your problems are above the windows. The pic with the wood trim pushed out bothers me. Something is causing the movement. I would get a good brick mason from your area to stop by and take a look. If that doesn't work for you, then take it up a notch and get a structural engineer to take a look. Definitely needs fixed before it gets worse.
Mike Hawkins
P.S. ditto on the picture resizing.
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #4

sorry for the big pic folks, I will work on resizing
wadegpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #5

Yeah it's pretty difficult to see what is going on with those pics. The chimney looks like it needs some pointing work and a re-work of a poorly terminated cap area.

That big separation doesn't look to good. It might be worth a few bucks to have an engineer give a look - see.
Michael Olding is offline   Reply With Quote