Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #1

Share |

brick fireplace

HI, the mortar joints on the inside of my fireplace have bad efflorescence leaching. I think it is mainly coming from the heating and cooling cycles creating moisture in the winter time. My fire place is on a outside wall. I also have 2 other fireplaces in the middle of my house and I have no problems whatsoever. So my question is what can I do about the leaching problem in my motor joints? My chimney is capped and does not leak. Thanks

gobbles4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #2

brick fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbles4 View Post
HI, the mortar joints on the inside of my fireplace have bad efflorescence leaching. I think it is mainly coming from the heating and cooling cycles creating moisture in the winter time. My fire place is on a outside wall. I also have 2 other fireplaces in the middle of my house and I have no problems whatsoever. So my question is what can I do about the leaching problem in my motor joints? My chimney is capped and does not leak. Thanks
Moisture is getting in from the outside, one way or the other. It's not from seasonal heating and cooling. If that was the case, all the fireplaces would have it.
It's moisture traveling in from the exterior.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

brick fireplace

Ron, you possibly can be right but at the same time before I light the fireplace in the winter time i look up the chimney and the flue liners are completely white with frost every time. So as soon as I light the fireplace the water starts running down on my fireplace logs BAD. Assuming the chimney is leaking what is the solution applying a good water sealer and if so how often? My flashing is fine but I do know the type of brick I have are known to be porous. Thanks so much gobbles4
Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #4

brick fireplace

I believe all brick is porous.
Things to check for:
1. Chimney cap is solid with no gaps with the flue pipe.
2. The mortar joints are all tight and no bricks are loose.
3. There's a chimney cap on the flue.
4. The chimney flashing(and counter flashing) is installed properly with no gaps or holes.
You mentioned a few as okay, but I'd have a pro look at it. I say that but at the same time I'll leave you with a caveat.
There are chimney guys who are thieves and prey on the uninformed.
Get a few eyes on this to get multiple opinions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
gobbles4 (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #5

brick fireplace

Ron, One more thing that compounds this mystery where I live we are 10" of rain over normal for the year to date and not one drop of water in my fireplace. All so when we get a prolong cold spell and then the weather warms water will trickle down the walls of the fireplace. Another thing worth mentioning is this only occurs in the winter and never any other time of the year. Thanks Gobbles4
Old 06-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #6

brick fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbles4 View Post
Ron, One more thing that compounds this mystery where I live we are 10" of rain over normal for the year to date and not one drop of water in my fireplace. All so when we get a prolong cold spell and then the weather warms water will trickle down the walls of the fireplace. Another thing worth mentioning is this only occurs in the winter and never any other time of the year. Thanks Gobbles4
The cold/warm combination is condensation. The warm moist air hits the cool clay liner and water condenses on it. The same thing happens if you run the hose outside. If the pipe going to the hose bib isn't insulated, it will draw condensate to the cooler pipe and drip on the floor.
I have an exterior wall fireplace, but I've never experienced either issue(efflorescence or condensation).
You should update your profile to include your location.

Tags
brick, joints, mortar