Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #1

Share |

Brass Cleaner?

Hi;
I have a very old pair of brass door knockers, with intricate design. They are very badly tarnished. Can anyone recommend something to clean them up?
I was thinking of selling them on Ebay if I can get them clean.

Thanks

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Brass Cleaner?

I happen to be sold on a product called "Wenol" for polishing metals. I have used it on old copper and brass with no problems. I recently polished (Whew! on this one) an old chromed U.S. Navy Ship Bell. I use it to polish out old (real) chrome on old cars, doing it by hand. Unfortunately, I only seem to be able to obtain it from vendors at car shows. I have not tried to "Google" Wenol to see if it can be obtained via Internet or a store close by. Maybe I'm going to too many car shows. David OOPS- -on intricate designs I use a soft toothbrush to get the polishing material into the small spaces and a clean one to get this stuff out. IT MUST be gotten out or it will discolor over time.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #3

Brass Cleaner?

brasso

might not be the best, but it has always worked for me
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #4

Brass Cleaner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I happen to be sold on a product called "Wenol" for polishing metals. I have used it on old copper and brass with no problems. I recently polished (Whew! on this one) an old chromed U.S. Navy Ship Bell. I use it to polish out old (real) chrome on old cars, doing it by hand. Unfortunately, I only seem to be able to obtain it from vendors at car shows. I have not tried to "Google" Wenol to see if it can be obtained via Internet or a store close by. Maybe I'm going to too many car shows. David OOPS- -on intricate designs I use a soft toothbrush to get the polishing material into the small spaces and a clean one to get this stuff out. IT MUST be gotten out or it will discolor over time.
I can get it on Amazon. They sell a 3oz tube (looks like a tube of toothpaste) for $6.99. That should be all I need, and I wouldn't want to buy a large amount and have it sitting around for 100 years

Thanks

FW

Edit: OTOH; checking Ebay, it doesn't look like this sort of thing is worth anything, so maybe I'll just scrap them.

Last edited by KE2KB; 06-08-2010 at 01:52 PM.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

Brass Cleaner?

I hated all the scrubbing require with Brasso while in the Army. My mother gave me a tube of stuff called Flitz cream. It worked great, no elbow grease necessary. Haven't polished brass since the Army so I don't know if you can still find it.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #6

Brass Cleaner?

Brasso is really helpful. You can try it ;-)

MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote