Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #1

Share |

Brand new pool leaks-best type of repair?

Hi all. I am having a pool built, and after the plaster crew put on the plaster, they told me they have to pull all the new plaster off since the Gunite pool walls in the deep end have about 8-10 small pinhole type of leaks all over the deep end. They said they are going to use Quikrete Hydaulic Water Stop Cement. I am sure it will work, but is this a "quick and cheap" fix for this problem, or are they skipping the "correct" repair.

I hope a bunch of you tell me this is normal protocol in the pool industry and not a big deal.

Thanks,

jasond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #2

That is the correct repair.

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #3

Hydraulic cement will expand to fill whatever gap it is put into. Sounds like a heck of a good fix to me.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
remodeling pro

I'm not a pool builder, but I don't understand this. How does the plaster crew determine that there are pinhole leaks in the shell after they have plastered?; and more concerning to me, how do you have leaks through the Gunite itself, just in the field of the shell, especially the bottom. All the pools I have been around during construction end up with what appears to be plenty of overkill in the thickness of the bottom, just from the process of spraying the Gunite. I have seen leaks around skimmers and bottom drains, but not just through what is suppossed to be 6 inches of concrete.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #5

Hey Trouble,

The plaster crew figured out there were leaks after the plaster went on and it had some slight bubling up that occurred when the plaster was drying. We have had quite a bit of rain the days after the Gunite was shot, and have had rain since then, so if there are any air bubbles in the Gunite, the rain and wet ground surrounding the pool will force the water into the Gunite which will find its way into the pool. Without the pool being filled with water, you could see a dew areas that were damp on the inside of the Gunite shell. It is more of a "weaping" than a leak.
What do you think?

ATTN POOL BUILDERS, please give me your opinions as well.
jasond is offline   Reply With Quote