Bosch Multi-X Blade DONE In 2 Minutes - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 758

Bosch Multi-X Blade DONE in 2 minutes

I have a few very tricky flush cuts I need to do, basically an inside corner situation with protruding 1Xs that I need to cut back to the corner, as well as an old wall stud that was against concrete block wall that I need to trim about a 3/8" off but so much crowded around it made it impossible to access for the cut.

I bought the Bosch Multi-X tool at Home Depot for $159.

I took out the tool, assembled the plunge cut blade and cut one piece of 1x3 at an inside corner, then towards the end of the cut the wood started smoking. I lowered the speed dial. Then I went to cut the 2x4 stud, half way in I hit a nail. It didn't seem to want to cut through the nail, so I went ahead and pry out the nail from the top plate, and continued with the cut.

When it was said and done, cutting one across one 2x4, and one 1x3. That blade is done. 80% of the teeth on that blade is gone.

That replacement blade is $19.95.

Is this tool supposed to be an industrial strength construction tool, or just a wood hobby tool?

Yes when I cut the piece of 1x at the inside corner and when I cut it it could have hit the surface of the concrete floor when I cut through the wood. Yes when I cut the 2x4 I hit a nail and it may have made some damages, but that's what you expect in a job.

It does make the cut much easier in some situations but if the blade is gone in 2 minutes that's ridiculous!

Advertisement

miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

when using those type blades they make them for metal and general purpose. if you suspect metal in the wood you are cutting then a metal blade is in order, otherwise general purpose for everything else. the teeth on the general purpose blade are weak, the metal blade teeth are hardened more.

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

over heating will take the temper out of the blade,you go slow and use a light feed pressure

hitting concrete with any wood cutting blade is not good,but if you use it right a or 2 nail is usually not a problem

just operate the tool like the blade cost 20 bucks
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-24-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,102

When you look at any new "Multi-tool" blade you will note that the teeth are somewhat fine. As with any cutting blade the key is to take it easy and let the blade cut, not to force the blade into the work. It takes a few uses to get the "feel" of this, but it will allow the blades to last longer.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

The advice that you got from Tom to treat the blade like it costs $20 is the best you can get.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,896

i doubt the blades that come with the tool are made to cut metal . you need a metal cutting "bi-metal" blade.

i have a HF muti-tool and it works EXCELENT
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ool-67537.html
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,282

A tip for all you multi tool owners.
I've been buying my blades on Amazon.com. There's a company selling packs of 15 blades with several differant style blades in the pack for about $90.00.
That's about $6.00 a blade, not the $19.00 each in the box stores.
No I do not work for Amazon!
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A tip for all you multi tool owners.
I've been buying my blades on Amazon.com. There's a company selling packs of 15 blades with several differant style blades in the pack for about $90.00.
That's about $6.00 a blade, not the $19.00 each in the box stores.
No I do not work for Amazon!

I'm now buying the blades at amazon too, not the ones you mention though. the ones I get end up being about $10 a piece, much cheaper then the box stores for sure..
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 528

Good advice tocut slow. Also, the narrow angle and short throw of the blade doesn't clear the sawdust twell. So move the blade side to side as you cut, to clear the teeth and prevent overheating th blade.

Advertisement

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote