Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #1

Share |

Book suggestions on home improvements

Hey guys!
I wanted to know what are your suggestions for books concerning home improvement that you found very useful? This can be any books that either specialize in a certain domain such as concrete or a bathroom, or a complete book for home improvement.

Thanks a lot!
Phil

phirr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
24+ years of fixin'

First question, what is your skill level?
What are you going to work on?
IMHO the cover everything book is just a start. When you get into specific rooms or projects (electrical or plumbing) purchase a book specific to that subject or room.
Get these brand new, not used because some information will be out of date concerning electric and plumbing.

just my thoughts

Gregg

gmaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #3

I have dozens of Home Repair books and they just sit on the shelf gathering dust.
There is just so much info available now on the net for free and places like this to ask people how to do things. Videos on You Tube.
A basic wiring book might be ok but look the other stuff up.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #4

I have many books everything from basic home repair manuals to construction manuals on building houses. And I do refer to them from time to time. But Youtube videos are an awesome resource. I would recommend viewing a number of videos on a topic though because there are many folks posting how-to videos who don't have a clue as to what they are doing. The "Expert Village" series on Youtube is very good. Also manufacturers as part of the marketing now post great videos on how to correctly use their products. Two really good vids I recently watched were from Johnson Hardware, Kreg Joinery and Owens-Corning.
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote