Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #1

Share |

Bondo on a garage door?

Kid that lived here before thought it was a good idea to shoot BB's at the garage so there are several tiny dents. Think I could use automotive bondo to fill them and then repaint it? Nothing functionally wrong with the door so I'd like to try to clean it up rather than replace. Other ideas?

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Bondo on a garage door?

For either a metal or wooden door, if it's only small places such as B-B marks, I would think some Bondo would work fine. The only problem I could think of would be the slight "flexibility" of the door as it travels. Try it, and if the Bondo doesn't want to stay put because of the door travel, then maybe paint flowers or such over the mark.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Bondo on a garage door?

Don't forget to prime the bondo before you paint it! Should probably wet sand with a fine grit too or the patches could end up looking worse than the bb dings.

Personally I would dig the bbs out and use a wood filler if it is a wood door.

Last edited by user1007; 11-13-2011 at 01:36 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #4

Bondo on a garage door?

Thanks for the responses. Not a wood door, it is metal. Unfortunately there are probably 100 little bb dings. I'm going to prime and paint it anyway, just thinking I would attempt to clean up the dings a bit before doing so.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Bondo on a garage door?

Sounds like a plan and good luck. Kid sounds like loads of fun when he grows up and moves on to bigger weapons. Hopefully he will still only be shooting at garage doors.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #6

Bondo on a garage door?

I replaced the old, drafty, wood entry door at my house with a steel door with a leaded glass window. I normally wouldn't have bothered with the extra cost of the leaded glass, but it was deeply discounted due to having dings & scrapes from when it was a display model. ($400 door for less than $100) I went to the auto parts store, bought a small can of body filler/bondo, sanded & cleaned the damaged areas, filled the dings & scrapes, then sanded, primed & painted the door. It came out nice, looked like it was never damaged & has held up fine for the last 10 or 11 years.

Bob Deb is offline   Reply With Quote