Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Boiler Options - Worried about Quotes and Performance of Boilers

Hello All!

I am currently getting some quotes together for having central heating and hot water fitted in my 2 bedroom house.

With the quotes I have had so far, I have noticed that the boilers vary in performance quite drastically (I think in order for the fitter so give me as low a price as possible?) and I am concerned that the smaller boilers will struggle to heat up the water for my house, and provide the sort of power needed.

Some quotes have been based on 'junior' boilers which my parents have had in their 2 bed house and have struggled with its performance - with general running water but particularly with Power Shower. The radiators also dont get as hot as others I have felt (I understand that there are different types of rad, but generally it seems they just dont get as hot as you would expect!)

Can anybody advise me of if I should go with a better perfoming boiler rather than a 'junior' type boiler? That way at least if the water is too hot I can turn it down, as with the heating. I know its only a 2 bed house, but my general feeling is to pay an extra couple of hundred for a better boiler rather than regret getting a cheaper one!

Thank you for your help, any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Dean

deano54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The size of the boiler is based on a heat loss calculation of the house. That gives you the boiler size. Now you have to decide if you want a high efficiency unit or the 82%-84% unit. Is the hot water going to have a separate unit or are you going with a coil?
Plumbers usually have a preference and stay with it.
What classifies a boiler as a "junior"?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #3

Hello There,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I want to go with a coil rather than a seperate unit. I also want a high efficiency unit which is all I will accept quotes on. It is probably also worth pointing out that my house does not have cavity walls so insulating outside walls is impossible. I also want a power shower fitted.

An example of one the Junior boilers I have been quoted on is here >>> http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/ind...&con_id=125928. I personally think that this boiler will struggle with what I need and also is not compatible with many of the features I want, for example a wireless 7 day programmable room thermostat.

Furthermore, when I put my home details into this website, it recommends the following Boiler >>> http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/ind...&con_id=231281

I dont like the idea with Plumbers having a preference and staying with it - they aren't the ones who are left to live with it afterwards if the boiler doesnt acheive what you expect afterwards and surely as the customer I should get what I ask for rather than what they want to give me just to keep their quote price down?

Thanks for your help,

Dean
Old 10-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

"I dont like the idea with Plumbers having a preference and staying with it - they aren't the ones who are left to live with it afterwards if the boiler doesnt acheive what you expect afterwards and surely as the customer I should get what I ask for rather than what they want to give me just to keep their quote price down?"

By preference, I meant ones they are familiar with. When I converted from oil to gas the plumber I finally went with recommended Peerless boilers. I researched them and found they were a fine company with quality products. This guy 's been a local plumber for 50 years. He's not about to recommend a product that has issues. We've had it for 8 years and it's run fine with no problems.
From the sites you listed, sounds like you're from the UK. Might be the reason for the junior boiler reference. One issue with the coil is that it would need to be of an adequate size to feed all the water sources. This power shower sounds like a multihead unit.
You guys should have the Buderus boilers. You might want to look into those.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #5

HI Ron,

I understand - sorry I misunderstood you.

Yes, from the UK, I will look in to the Buderus boilers you mention, thank you.

Here in the UK I think we have a culture where the customer just take whatever they get without arguing if they feel they have been ripped off - it really gets on my nerves and think I wont stand for being told what to do with my money! I do appreciate these guys are the proffesionals but I feel many UK people are vunerable and open to being ripped off. This is my opinion, I may be wrong.

A little example off subject - I recently bought a camera from the US on the internet which arrived faulty. I called the hotline number and as it was supplied from the US I got put through to a US customer services desk. They could not be helpful enough and I was blown away by how helpful they were and how quickly I received the replacement, the faulty camera was collected from my door and a new one recieved within 48 hours! In the UK they would probably have moaned and tutted and blamed me first and would probably have had to go through an argument before I got a replacement!

Over here in the UK customer service is just generally bad, it seems from the word go the suppliers attitude is that you owe them something when they should be begging you for your custom!! and as long as we put up with it, it will stay that way!

Sorry to get political, I had to get that off my chest!!

Thanks for your help and taking the time to respond, I'm very grateful.

Dean
Old 06-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #6

What about the american standard 3 pass does anyone have a opinion on these??

guysr1 is offline   Reply With Quote