Boiler - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

boiler

i got an existing gas boiler, aim trying to get ridde of my chimmeney to gain some room in my attic, i heard they sell a kit so i can conver my existing boiler to direct ventilation, also my water heater..any one got some information????

Advertisement

gsuira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

boiler

Gsuira:

Chimneys are necessary for low and mid efficiency boilers. A low or mid efficiency boiler will burn gas to heat water, but the flue gas will still be hot enough that it will be so much lighter than air that it will "draft" up a chimney properly.

A high efficiency boiler will take more heat out of that flue gas, and the result will be that the flue gas will be denser and won't draft up a chimney. So, for high efficiency boilers, they will normally run a PVC pipe down the chimney to provide the air intake for the boiler and also run another PVC pipe up that same chimney so that the flue gas can be vented out (by the use of a fan).

If you wanted to get rid of your chimney anyway, they could simply run those two PVC pipes out a side wall of your home. There are requirements on where those pipes can be that would have to be dealt with.

If your water heater vents into your chimney, you would also have to replace your water heater with a high efficiency water heater as well, or provide a seperate chimney up the side of your house for it.

Advertisement

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote