Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #1

Share |

Blowing fuse

I have a bosch shredder 2000AXT and the fuse keeps blowing in the plug. I've checked the lead and all the contacts and everything seems fine. What could cause the motor to blow the fuse?
I can get parts on line for it but don't know what to try first. It's going to be a process of elimination but what would you replace first as the probable cause? Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for your touble.

kenneth floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #2

Blowing fuse

A clamp-on ammeter will pay for itself quickly, in troubleshooting this or other problems. There is an accessory that looks like a big letter "O" that you can buy that splits out the hot and neutral wires so you can clamp on one of them.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-24-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #3

Blowing fuse

You may not need parts! Just a cleaning of the centrifugal switch assembly and cleaning of the start contacts may do the job for you!
I have this problem with my table saw motor from time to time.
Every couple of years I have to take the motor apart and do this!
Most of the time when a motor starts to blow fuses, its a problem with the start switch.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:36 AM   #4

Blowing fuse

if you have a air inlet to the motor see if you can free spin it with a screwdriver if not might have a piece of bark or branch within it or it is locked up should pin or at least turn either direction.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #5

Smile

Blowing fuse

Hi,

I had this exact problem at the weekend with the same model of shredder, and stumbled across this post looking for inspiration.

I replaced the capacitor, which is a 10 minute job, and it's now working perfectly! The capacitor has two wires clipped on when you can slide off, with a bit of effort. The capacitor then unscrews. Be careful, I know capacitors can hold charge for a while so you may need to earth it first.

You need a 20uF capacitor with a screw fitting on the bottom, this is the one I got and there are loads on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=310120939077

I hope this helps! Let me know how you get on...

Ian :-)
Easter is offline   Reply With Quote