DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Blow in insulation

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  redline 
#1 ·
I plan on starting this project in the next month or so. Our attic has maybe 1 1/2" of roll insulation. It needs at least 12". I plan on buying blow in cellulose insulation from the local Menards and doing the attic. Also thought about doing the walls too. We have lived in this house for 8 years now and have pretty high gas bills. I don't think these walls are insulated. I might as well do the walls while i am at it.

My question -- is going thru the outside walls an acceptable way? We have wooden lap siding that we plan on covering with vinyl siding next summer. Not too worried about plugs in the wooden siding for now. All the reading i have done so far refers to it being done from the inside. It's all part of a master plan. Insulate, new windows and siding. Hoping to get our heating bills down this winter. Besides, Our gas company will pay for 70% of the cost of blow in insulation up to $500. Might as well do the walls while we are at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.