DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   Black mold: Yikes!!! (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/black-mold-yikes-112016/)

DIYChick45 07-26-2011 11:41 AM

Black mold: Yikes!!!
 
1 Attachment(s)
I am in the process of tearing out some paneling and repainting a bedroom. I've only lived in the house about 4 months now but found black mold behind *some* of the paneling. I'll try to attach a picture, so if you can see, the mold is only behind the paneling to the right of the closet and on the wall right inside the door. I don't find any moisture issues. There is a bathroom on the other side but the bath tub is behind the wall behind the dresser (in the picture). I opened up the access door to the tub plumbing and don't see any mold.
Also, in cleaning this up, I used warm water and a 50/50 bleach solution. Scrubbed the walls but good. I closed off the room and the cold air return. Placed a dehumidifier in there too. Should I open the windows? It's 90 degrees and 95% humidity out!

I'm hoping this is isolated to just behind the paneling??? I looked and looked and don't find any anywhere else in the house?

Ron6519 07-26-2011 01:09 PM

Is there a water source above? Possible leak in bath or roof?
Do you see any water stains on the wall or in the room below?

DIYChick45 07-26-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron6519 (Post 693990)
Is there a water source above? Possible leak in bath or roof?
Do you see any water stains on the wall or in the room below?

There is a bathroom above Ron, but I don't see any evidence of a leak. The house did sit empty for about a year before I purchased it. I read another thread where that may be a cause??

Ron6519 07-26-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIYChick45 (Post 693998)
There is a bathroom above Ron, but I don't see any evidence of a leak. The house did sit empty for about a year before I purchased it. I read another thread where that may be a cause??

If sitting vacant were the cause, why would the mold be localized?
It could have been a one episode water incident. Toilet over flowed, or the sink or tub. If there's no water coming in or down as you've lived there, just treat it like it's done and move on with the renovation.

Maintenance 6 07-26-2011 04:42 PM

Be careful with that 50/50 bleach. You're breathing stuff that's much nastier than the mold. 10% is more than enough to kill mold. Is that wall paper behind the paneling? If so, that's great mold food. It wouldn't take but a brief moisture episode for them to set up shop on wall paper behind paneling. They could have been long dormant by now. I'd be rid of all that junk, then seal it with some Kilz. If there is no persistant moisture problem, that should take care of it.

DIYChick45 07-26-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 (Post 694110)
Be careful with that 50/50 bleach. You're breathing stuff that's much nastier than the mold. 10% is more than enough to kill mold. Is that wall paper behind the paneling? If so, that's great mold food. It wouldn't take but a brief moisture episode for them to set up shop on wall paper behind paneling. They could have been long dormant by now. I'd be rid of all that junk, then seal it with some Kilz. If there is no persistant moisture problem, that should take care of it.


Yup..old wallpaper. But it almost desinegrated with the bleach wash so it'll come off easy. I'll certainly put some good primer down to seal it in. It's plaster and not drywall. Thanks all!!!

Maintenance 6 07-27-2011 07:08 AM

That's a good thing. Plaster doesn't contain organics like drywall, so it doesn't support mold by itself. Wallpaper paste is gourmet mold food. Getting rid of it will go a long way toward eliminating your problem.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.