Biting The Bullet To Be A Nest Protect Guinea Pig - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

Biting the bullet to be a Nest Protect Guinea Pig

Just pre-ordered two Nest Protect CO/Heat/Smoke Photoelectric/Ion units. The wife was not happy with the fact that they are $130/ea, and thinks that it is overkill.

After looking for a unit that would do what I wanted (communicate with another in the house, voice alarm, includes CO with fire detection), figured that the Nest Protect gave me everything and then some that I wanted.

Looking over the spec's on them, they use a Mesh network, along with communicating with the Nest Thermostat if you have it; so that if you have a CO detection, it will actually have the Nest thermostat shutdown the hvac system.

I of course now have to cut in a box in the hallway ceiling for 120, and the other will go down in the basement. Our hallway is only about six feet long, so the unit would be within three feet of both doors. We tend to keep our door open some, since the Golden will sleep in our room, but gets up in the middle of the night to go lay down in her chair in the living room.

I am still going to keep the two Smoke Ion units we have now in the Bedrooms, but figured that having the Nest Protect in the hallway, especially with the motion light, it will be a nice little gadget to continue my move on having a smarter home.

I will update with pictures and more info, once they ship and are in my hands.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 564

It's $$ for something my $40 Kidde's do. I suppose it's nice that it will alert your phone if you house is on fire.

It's personal preference but I don't like the idea of wireless interconnect granted there are other devices that do it now too. Your wife is really going to love you in 5-7 years when you have to replace them.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
It's $$ for something my $40 Kidde's do. I suppose it's nice that it will alert your phone if you house is on fire.
They do quite a bit more than what your Kidde's do, and certainly more than alert you if your house is on fire. Whether the things it does are useful / interesting to you or not is personal preference, but these devices are actually pretty innovative. Personally I wouldn't buy one at this early stage but... raed about all of the features before saying it does nothing.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
raed about all of the features before saying it does nothing.
Never said it does nothing. I looked at it when it was announced and decided against it mainly due to price. When you look at the key features, my Kiddes have smoke, CO, voice alert, interconnection and provide status (albeit decoding beeps).
Old 10-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,206

If I ready your post correctly, you currently have smoke detectors only in the bedrooms? That wouldn't pass code here.

Can't argue with what you're doing; as you said, it comes down to personal preference, and it's not something I'd do. Out of curiosity, how many extinguishers do you have in the house??
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
If I ready your post correctly, you currently have smoke detectors only in the bedrooms? That wouldn't pass code here.

Can't argue with what you're doing; as you said, it comes down to personal preference, and it's not something I'd do. Out of curiosity, how many extinguishers do you have in the house??
Here that is the min. As for extinguishers, one in the Kitchen, one downstairs. Remember, we do have a combo unit downstairs for CO/Smoke. In my area, you can get by with just the smokes in the bedroom/sleeping area, and one in the basement.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,206

Well then, sounds like you're certainly prepared. I should've known. Must be that good Navy training (former ET1(SS) here).
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

For a trial, it is expensive to get one for every sleeping room, the basement and hall. I of course have to run power for these new units, so of course get to go crawl up the scuttle into the attic, to change out a junction box that is up there for the bedroom & hall lighting, to add this extra box.

With the fact that it allows us to be warned while away, without needing to purchase extra gear, like most of the mesh network equipment, figured this was worth it. After seven years, they will pay for themselves.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post

It's personal preference but I don't like the idea of wireless interconnect granted there are other devices that do it now too. Your wife is really going to love you in 5-7 years when you have to replace them.
Reopening this old thread. I'm readying to do the same thing next year, when it starts to get cold/hot/whatever and I finally buy a heat pump.

What interests me is:
  • "AirWave" recirculates air before turning on the HVAC systems, so if you've developed a hot/cold spot it'll balance it out and possibly not activate the furnace or AC as much
  • The early adjustment system will use more efficient settings in multi-stage systems, saving some money
  • Auto-away and manual away mode

I wish it would use the Nest Protect sensors as occupancy sensors, though. It uses them to plan your auto-away schedule; but I don't think you can tell it you have 100% coverage on a 15 minute interval and have it assume you're away immediately if you haven't been around in 15 minutes. It needs to see a pattern.

Point is it's supposed to save money. The detectors last for 7 years, so you need a 7 year ROI on auto-away with detectors versus without to justify them as a money-saving device. From a decision making standpoint, they will automatically activate a contingency for the most common CO leak source, so it's not 100% a monetary value decision.

Auto-away probably doesn't work too well if the house isn't often vacant. For me, the house is vacant 5 days a week.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Not that old of a thread. I would like to keep this thread open and updated.

Advertisement