Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Bombastic Idiot

Share |

Big Sandy coming

I hope this thing is over hyped. But yall hunker down, tie 'er down, grab a holt of somethin heavy and pray thet the creek don't rise. We're all super intelligent folks here but if you're in the path, make sure you at least do this;
· Have adequate prescription medicines or infant supplies on hand.
· If you or someone you know uses life-support equipment that requires electricity to operate, identify a location with emergency power capabilities and make plans to go there or to a hospital during a prolonged outage.
· Assemble an emergency "storm kit." Include a battery-powered radio or television, flashlight, a first-aid kit, battery-powered or windup clock, extra batteries, special needs items, an insulated cooler and a list of important and emergency phone numbers.
· Keep at least a three-day supply of non-perishable foods and bottled water and have a hand-operated can opener available.
· Have a telephone with a cord or cell phone to use as a backup. Cordless telephones require electricity to operate, and won't work if there is an outage.
· Protect your electronic equipment. Unplug sensitive electronics or plug computers and other sensitive equipment into surge suppressors, and consider a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for temporary battery backup power.
· Turn off power to flood-prone basement appliances if it is safe to do so. However, if you have an electrically operated sump pump, you should not turn off your power.
· Tune in to local news broadcasts for the latest weather and emergency information.
· Follow the advice of your local emergency management officials.
· Take cover if necessary.
· Stay away from downed wires.
There aint no shame in runnin away, nobody has yet repealed an act of gawd. Get back online and let us know how you came thru it all, so's I can stop worryin about yall and get back to bein my usual obmoxious confusin self.

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to notmrjohn For This Useful Post:
BigJim (10-28-2012), Blondesense (10-27-2012), creeper (10-27-2012), gma2rjc (10-28-2012), oh'mike (10-28-2012), rossfingal (10-28-2012), user1007 (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #2

Big Sandy coming

The creek will rise, just a question of how much. We had a waterfront property for a short period after Irene, so I'm really hoping this one won't be worse.

I cleaned my gutters and lifted stuff off of my basement floor just in case. Not much more you can do but hold tight and hope for the best...

LVDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Big Sandy coming

Don't forget to park cars away from tree limbs if possible.

You won't be able to tune into new reports without a battery powered radio or cell phone if the power goes out.

Get extra batteries as you will not be able to charge your phone without power.

Phone calls may be hard to connect so set up a relay system so others out of the area can contact those worried about you once they here from you.

If your power tends to slow down before it goes off in weather failures, think about unplugging anything with a motor.

Last edited by user1007; 10-27-2012 at 10:01 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Big Sandy coming

How many more threads can we have about this. Please for the love of God, do we need to frighten the masses anymore than the damage done by the Liberal media.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #5

Big Sandy coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
How many more threads can we have about this. Please for the love of God, do we need to frighten the masses anymore than the damage done by the Liberal media.
But Greg, the thing is , if people are not warned and a catastophic event occurs that claims even 1 life, who would the public hold libel.

Even if your house does not blow down, but the power goes out. ( which we know is a relative easy and common occurrence) a series of bad things could chain react as a result of that alone.

I doubt that most of the folks living on the coast and further inland, the path, are not taking this seriously.

It is expected to travel further in to Ontario where we live. Post hurricane winds they are calling it.
I will park further back down the driveway as Steve has properly suggested to protect my vehicle from tree limbs.

Its already been raining hard for days from another system and we are expected to get another 100mm, so I will clean the gutters on one troubling corner.
I'd rather take a few little precautions then find out the hard way

Last edited by creeper; 10-28-2012 at 07:06 AM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #6

Big Sandy coming

I don't think the "liberal media" are trying to scare people -
Just trying to make sure everyone is prepared.
I live in "tornado alley" and I've seen what the lack of being prepared
can do.
"Plainfield tornado" - 1990 or 1991 -
They didn't really, have "Doppler" radar back then -
(they do now!)
I watched that thing arrive -
no sirens went off.
I don't know how bad it was -
I do know that we spent the next year and a half repairing the damage
that had been done.

As far as the "liberal media" is concerned -
Most of the major Media, outlets are owned by corporations -
Most corporations are not known to be "liberal".
"Fox News"?

Just a thought.
"RF"
rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Big Sandy coming

Quote:
Come on. The storm might be a communist weather machine plot (the storm pilots have noticed high concentrations of flouride in the water vapor) but it is not being energized by either political candidate or either side of the media. I am certain Faux News has stories ready to air already on the FEMA response though.

This storm, just counting people in major cities, and not inland stands to effect 11 million people! Put in perspecitve that is just 1 million short of the entire population of the State of Illinois! That is a big deal and reporting what is going on in hopes of getting people not to get hysterical but to get out of harms way seems more than responsible to me.

That said, our current state of news readers that never wrote or fact checked a story in their lives but took the new talking heads "hair and nails" journalism track are annoying. But their charter is to fill the airwaves 24/7 with fact or fiction. It is what we demand. My pet frustration are the map and chart people getting things wrong for never having taken a US geography course.

We sort of have egg on our face for the under reporting of certain major storm approaching some years ago and part of a major US City was destroyed. How quickly we forget. Would things have been different if it had been covered the way this one is? I guess we will never know. And granted, we do not know how bad this one will be for sure yet. If this President handles this storm with such total disregard and uncaring as Bush did New Orleans. He is sunk for re-election. The conservative media will stress anything that does not go right with FEMA in the next few days including how many New Jersey chickens got drowned in high water if their are no human casualties. And lets hope there are not.

You can always turn the news off you know? You know what comes next are the hair and nails idiots on camera proving they can cover news from the center of the storm. Somebody will start running the George Cluney, "The Perfect Storm" footage and interviewing him as an expert any minute now. The graphics people will have Phildelphia where Boston should be on a a map.

Liberal and conservative media will drone on and try to outdo each other in nonsensical reporting. Meanwhile it is the major story of the week.

Last edited by user1007; 10-28-2012 at 08:57 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #8

Big Sandy coming

"If this President handles this storm with such total disregard and uncaring as Bush did New Orleans."
What?!?
I thought "Brownie" did a "heck-of-a" job!!!
rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #9

Big Sandy coming

I hope everyone stays safe!

Jess_718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Big Sandy coming

One wouldn't want to let a chance to drag Bush's name into something totally unrelated to him slip by, would they................
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Big Sandy coming

I'm a Midwesterner, so I'll never be facing down a hurricane. All I can say is that I hope you Easterners stay safe!

In the meantime, a buddy of mine & I will be grouting his basement bathroom/laundry room. His wife is about to have their first baby and finishing this basement project is getting pretty "important!"

Last edited by DrHicks; 10-29-2012 at 07:28 AM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #12

Big Sandy coming

South Jersey here and getting some nice wind and rain bands already. Tonight will be fun! Stay safe everyone.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
Mod

Big Sandy coming

For those near low lying coastal streams be sure to pay attention to and know when the “actual” high tide times are for where “you’re” at.

The times they report on the news can be off a few hours from what is the true time for your house if you’re inland a few miles.

Just because the rain may have stopped and you think you dodged the bullet this is not necessarily true. It takes time for all of that inland water to make it to sea and your highest water may not reach you until the day after the actual event and it will be the high tide that will get you.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
Retired from the grind

Big Sandy coming

DrHicks, we just face a different kind of beast.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
A Little Of Everything

Big Sandy coming

Quote:
DrHicks, we just face a different kind of beast.
True. But I'd rather fire up the snowblower than the sump pump.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote