Big Box Stores Do Not Always Have Best Price - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,376

Big box stores do not always have best price

Many of us tend to think a "Big Box" store always has cheaper prices than a local supply house. Think again. I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and bought some items at my local supply house (plumbing & electrical):

First price is local supply, second is Big Orange

4 foot 50 amp range cord $ 19.55 23.95

6 foot appliance cord (DW) 5.77 9.99

6 foot SS braid DW supply 7.45 11.99

Total $ 32.77 45.93

Give your local supply house some business.

My local lumber yard usually has better prices than Big Orange and a lot better quality.

Advertisement

Last edited by rjniles; 06-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
cyberknight (06-06-2014), jmon (06-06-2014), louis-123 (06-18-2014), oh'mike (06-07-2014), rossfingal (06-08-2014), SeniorSitizen (06-06-2014), TheEplumber (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,692

very true. i wish there was a good supply near me. actually, they are building one, right on the way to/from work. but it will be at least a year before it opens.

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 256

This has always been the case. Even local neighborhood hardware stores beat the big box stores prices on many things.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

My hardwood supplier has better prices on trim than the Home Depot.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,218

In general, it is my guess/opinion, that the two BIGBOXES drove all/most of it's competitors out of business... in my case HMWoods/ Home Base/ Pay N Pak/ Builders Square and a mess of local small guys.

Now, they enjoy/ profiteer off a very limited competitive market.... and are jacking prices up exhorbitantly..... it'll be years before more competition enters the market.

If you are lucky, you can find a smaller/local supplier with more reasonable/fair pricing nearby...., I have one yard that I use for volume issues (deck stains and bulk fasteners/items) but they are 20 miles away thru traffic

On more and more items when possible and practical, I'm going to the internet with great results and BIG SAVINGS.

Best
Old 06-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 268

I started buying all of my plumbing fittings when possible from pexsupply.com, which I think is now supplyhouse.com

Reason being they have quality Canadian or US made heavy copper fittings and US made Ward iron fittings for less money than homer sells Chinese garbage for.

And yes, there is a huge difference between a black iron Ward fitting and a Chinese one.

While I'm comparing an online place to a local store and I admit that isn't fair I'm not surprised a local hardware store or lumberyard wouldn't have better stuff for the same cost either. Lowes and Homedepot seem to sell cheap garbage for a normal price. I don't mind buying some stuff from them, but a lot of it is junk.
http://youtu.be/y2LWjT3e7uQ
cj133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 836

I agree. Especially when it comes to de-humidifiers and other items like that they have the cheapest, lightest basic quality units with poor features just for a low price point just like Wallymart. Hopefully Sears stays in business as the days of the "department" stores are over. Not enough profit/square foot in them. I got a great deal on a GOOD DeLonghi de-humidifier from Sears online and they will ship it for a few $$ to a local UPS store a block away from me. Now that is convenient. HDepot just has a cheap crappy one I would never want and no better quality ones.

I do like HDepot and once ran into a really helpful guy who told me a lot about doing drywall and if you run into a knowledgeable associate it is valuable and your small hardware stores don't have that service a lot. Being able to rent a van and haul drywall at the same time is very convenient and their Honda rental machines are excellent quality.

Last edited by yuri; 06-07-2014 at 12:19 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #8

Also be warned, items that look the same as ones you see elseware for a higher price or sometimes the same price, often are not the same.

For example Insinkerator disposals sold at home depot and lowes are not the same as ones sold online. I can't remember details, but I bought the 2nd from the top of the line Insinkerator and the ones at Homer and Lowes had either plastic or normal steel grind chambers while the one I bought has a stainless steel grind chamber. I honestly think theirs was plastic and it was the same price. It appeared to be identical until you looked into the details.

I suspect they do that with many many things.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 836

Yep, bought a really pretty Moen 1 handle with pullout hose kitchen faucet for the neighbor ( she liked the look of it ). Cheap piece of plastic Cr*ap once I installed it and the real Pro version of Moen is very good. The special batch of stuff for the big box stores ain't the same as they can have a huge line of it produced just for them.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,298

My problem with buying at the big boxes, the employees usually know nothing about the products. At our locally owned store, most of the employees can not only tell you which is the best product, but give tips on how to install it. I went into a HD once looking for a box of tack strip and the flooring "expert" had no idea that there was concrete and wood strip. He also had no idea what they had in the way of supplies, but he was selling flooring.
One employee at a Lowes sold a customer mastic to install ceramic tile on a concrete floor.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,674

Lumber yards are almost always less than the boxes, as they are usually the most expensive place to buy wood. It also tee's me off that now the only drywall you can get at the box is that lightweight crap. Never bought a lot there but if you needed a sheet or two and they were closer, but not anymore.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,280

I go to my local, family-owned hardware store before I go anywhere else. If they don't have what I need, I then may go to Lowe's, etc. And, yes, their prices are very competitive.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,596

If possible I support my local businesses over nation wide chain stores- prices are generally not far enough apart to break me.
Gymschu (06-08-2014), wkearney99 (06-08-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj133 View Post
I started buying all of my plumbing fittings when possible from pexsupply.com, which I think is now supplyhouse.com

Reason being they have quality Canadian or US made heavy copper fittings and US made Ward iron fittings for less money than homer sells Chinese garbage for.

And yes, there is a huge difference between a black iron Ward fitting and a Chinese one.

While I'm comparing an online place to a local store and I admit that isn't fair I'm not surprised a local hardware store or lumberyard wouldn't have better stuff for the same cost either. Lowes and Homedepot seem to sell cheap garbage for a normal price. I don't mind buying some stuff from them, but a lot of it is junk.

I can't tell you how many of those cheap chinese black iron fittings I've broke. I always go for the ward ones whenever possible. I had a union from homey that leaked no matter what I did and finally gave up and got a good one and didn't have an issue.
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjm View Post
I can't tell you how many of those cheap chinese black iron fittings I've broke. I always go for the ward ones whenever possible. I had a union from homey that leaked no matter what I did and finally gave up and got a good one and didn't have an issue.

I have no idea how guys who deal with this stuff everyday do it because I know sometimes you have to settle for what you can get.

Maybe it's because I'm not a professional, or what but I had a hard time with a Chinese fitting and the Ward seemed like a piece of cake. We ran all of the NG piping in my house and ended up with one leak and if I recall, it was the only Chinese fitting we used. Was a last minute "oh crap run to homer and get a fitting" thing. All others came from pexsupply.com and were Ward.

Advertisement