Best Way To Secure Horizontal 2 X 4s.... - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

best way to secure horizontal 2 X 4s....

looking for some help on the best way to secure the horizontal 2 X 4s.

http://flic.kr/p/8enir6

the first time i used two nails on each end of the horizontal 2 X4 and when I pulled the screen to tighten it the horizontal pieces became wavy/unlevel. i want to get this right so I removed these pieces and am going to try again. would an L bracket help? I'd like to avoid adding additional vertical pieces to preserve the open view on the bottom. thanks for your help!

Advertisement

joetab24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you're going into concrete, you can use Tapcon screws, lead anchors with stainless steel screws, or even plastic anchors with SS screws.
There are other methods.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab24 View Post

the first time i used two nails on each end of the horizontal 2 X4 and when I pulled the screen to tighten it the horizontal pieces became wavy/unlevel. i want to get this right so I removed these pieces and am going to try again. would an L bracket help? I'd like to avoid adding additional vertical pieces to preserve the open view on the bottom. thanks for your help!
You should have framed it like this.
Attached Thumbnails
best way to secure horizontal 2 X 4s....-wall6.jpg  

Last edited by kwikfishron; 11-13-2010 at 04:50 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

In my screen room, into the vertical members I cut a shallow dado cut to fit the horizontal boards. I then glued and screwed them. They don't move.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #5

oberkc,

do you have the "extra" vertical piece that ron suggested I add? also, to make the dado cuts will i have to remove the vertical pieces? have never done a dado cut before.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
do you have the "extra" vertical piece that ron suggested I add? also, to make the dado cuts will i have to remove the vertical pieces? have never done a dado cut before.
I do not use the extra pieces, but I am sure that this would work. One problem that may arise over the longer term is moisture between the boards. This tends to cause a bit of rot.

One can cut this dado (or notch) in the boards using a circular saw, set to the depth of the cut you want. Mine Probabaly less than a 1/4" deep. Mark the vertical members with lines at the top and bottom of the cross member location. Carefully cut at these lines. The result is that you want the width between the outside edges of these cuts to be equal to the thickness of your horizontal board.

Take a few more passes between the two original cuts, and use a chisel to clean out the opening. Use the depth of the blade to guide your cuts with the chisel.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #7

thanks for the info

"Mark the vertical members with lines at the top and bottom of the cross member location. Carefully cut at these lines. The result is that you want the width between the outside edges of these cuts to be equal to the thickness of your horizontal board."

Should I just try to make a straight cut by eyeballing it? Or would it help to try to use the a straight edge and the blade guide?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Dadoing your 2x4’s into the post will do absolutely nothing to keep your flat 2x4 from bowing in the middle.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Should I just try to make a straight cut by eyeballing it? Or would it help to try to use the a straight edge and the blade guide?
I use a square as a guide edge for the saw.

Quote:
Dadoing your 2x4’s into the post will do absolutely nothing to keep your flat 2x4 from bowing in the middle
Of course, kwikfishron is correct. The dados will simply provide a solid attach point for your horizontal members to your verical. Perhaps I was unsure what you meant by "wavy/unlevel". This will solve your problem only if it was due to your attach points shifting, twisting, etc. I would assume screen tension on both sides would be generally even and keep your boards straight.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #10

not sure if the dado will make a difference, but i figured i would practice the cut on a vertical piece of wood using my circular saw and a chisel.

the vertical piece of wood is in my basement. i put up a wall along my basement steps and attached a peg board. i am having a difficult time cleaning up the cut using my chisel, which was recently sharpened. could i use a router to clean this out? as i am sure you can tell, i am still learning, have never used a router before. thanks for taking a look and providing some feedback

http://flic.kr/p/8Uguq5
Old 11-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #11

There are many ways to make a dado cut. Yes, a chisel takes a little practice, but I believe chisels (along with handplanes) are some of the most enjoyable tools to use when they are sharp. The trick with the chisel is actually to use the multiple cuts with the circular saw as a depth guide.

A router is also a great way to cut a dado. Or to clean up a dado. Whatever works for you is the best way for you to do it.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #12

"A router is also a great way to cut a dado"

am I asking for trouble trying to make this cut with a router? the wood is already in place since I've already done the framing.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #13

Quote:
am I asking for trouble trying to make this cut with a router? the wood is already in place since I've already done the framing.
Not at all. Of course, I am in no hurry when I do things, and can afford to take the time to install a straight edge to guide the router. If you measure the diameter of the base plate, subtract from that the diameter of the router bit, then divide by two, you have the distance from the edge of the base plate to the router edge.

Clamp a square at the location of your desired edges plus the offset (distance determined above), and you can route the entire dado. This will result in an outstanding groove in your vertical member.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab24 View Post

The span is too long for it not to go wavy and the framing you showed would improve it quite a bit. There is another option of fastening a second 2x4 on edge to to form a T. This can be done by cutting to the proper length and fastening in place with screws. Another option is to add angle iron to the existing 2x4's, you may have to do a little shopping to get a metal angle that won't look too bad.
fixit4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #15

Tried another practice cut. This time time I made a few passes with the circular saw and then used a chisel to clean out the area. I also used a small hand planer also. The peg board got in the way a bit, but that won't be a problem when I do this outside.

this is what i have in mind, although it appears I made the width a bit too wide.

Advertisement