Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #1

Share |

Best Small Work Radio

I'm looking for a small work radio. I've had some cheap crappy freebie ones that take 2 AAs but barely got the reception that a normal radio would get. So I'm looking for something similar that is compact, portable, and GOOD for listening to the radio while I'm working. Anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. An auxiliary audio input would be nice so that I can have my choice of either listening to the radio or plugging in my iPod.

P.P.S I'm also thinking that I'd like to have the option to be able to plug in the radio in case the batteries die.

Thanks!

Chris Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Best Small Work Radio

I think you need to visit a Radio Shack, Best Buy, Target or whatever to explore your options. They range from $10 on up over $100. Your reception probably has as much to do with what antennae that are provided with the radio as the radio itself.

RCA makes some sort of expanded capability AM/FM portable radio but it retails for $70. A nice pawn shop near one of my haunts always has boombox/ghetto blaster type things for next to nothing on sale (you would not cry if you lost a decent one for like $20 from them).

I think I would look for a portable with a weather band and AM/FM if in the market. I worked alone alot along a tornado alley and valued knowing about the weather at times. You can get them to run on electricity, batteries and even with a hand crank generator. Again there is a significant price range.

Many/most radios now come with an auxiliary audio input. Some are dock specific so watch out for that. I just bought a little clock radio on sale for $9 at Bed Bath & Beyond to replace one I have had for decades. Won't run on batteries but has an input plug and gets decent reception.

DeWalt was clever in marketing a stereo boombox in combination with a tool battery charger. The concept was lost on those of us that did not have DeWalt tools though. But, since one had to drag chargers around why not with a radio?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #3

Best Small Work Radio

I'm with sdster on this one.
I have yet to see a radio last for long on a job site.
It's going to end up with paint or drywall dust, someone's going to steal it, antennas get broken off in transporting, falls off a roof ECT.
I buy a cheap one at a yard sale, it breaks so what.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
user1007 (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Best Small Work Radio

We've had good experiences with the Milwaukee line of jobsite radios. We even have one that is about 10 years old now, pretty beat-up, and still going.

I have this one set-up in my barn workshop and the sound is great: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/TOOLS/r...-radio/2590-20
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
user1007 (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Best Small Work Radio

I didn't see a price but that Milwaukee thing does look rather cool and robust. I guess one advantage to something new is you could take it back within its trial period if you did not like it or it could not tune in any stations. Assuming, as Joe mentioned, somebody has not already dropped it, filled it with drywall dust, or painted it.

And I forgot to mention. I have had super cheapo mini radios with headphone cable serving as the antenna that get better reception than any table top type portable. I don't like being cut-off from my surroundings when working though and dangling cords are not usually a good thing.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote