Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #1

Share |

Best fastener for 2x4 to block wall?

I need to attach a couple 2x4s to a cinder block wall so I can hang plywood on it. Not sure if the blocks are filled or not, but I suspect not. It's an interior wall in a basement, not an exterior foundation wall. The ply will be used to hang TV and network equipment. Total weight could approach 100 lbs.

I was planning on countersinking holes in the 2x4 and lay with wide side against the wall, then use tapcons possibly with PL too. Anything else better or preferable? Redheads? Anchors and lags (maybe not so good if the blocks aren't filled)? Something else entirely?

Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #2

It depends on where your fastners are going to land on the wall. Are they full width blocks or partition blocks? Partition blocks have limited room inside for molly anchors. I think I would deploy toggle bolts at cavities and use expanding sleeve anchors elsewhere.

PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
Something else entirely?
Yeah; pretty much.

Build your 2x4 wall. The weight/load issue is about how well the TV is attached to the wall and in turn how well the wall is attached to the floor and ceiling.
The block wall behind is immaterial. Don't attach to it at all.

Add some additional blocking within the framing and you're done.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 02-15-2013 at 11:00 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

One 1/4" Tapcon can likely take 100 pounds in shear before breaking, putting additional Tapcons in will help even more. Unless the block really are cinders (more than likely normal heavyweight concrete block) your plan is fine............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
It depends on where your fastners are going to land on the wall. Are they full width blocks or partition blocks? Partition blocks have limited room inside for molly anchors. I think I would deploy toggle bolts at cavities and use expanding sleeve anchors elsewhere.
They are full width. This wall comes in about 5' or so off an exterior foundation wall and is part of the mid span support for the first floor joists. Toggle bolts may work well for this, I hadn't thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Yeah; pretty much.

Build your 2x4 wall. The weight/load issue is about how well the TV is attached to the wall and in turn how well the wall is attached to the floor and ceiling.
The block wall behind is immaterial. Don't attach to it at all.

Add some additional blocking within the framing and you're done.
Sorry for not being more clear. This is not a finished basement and I'm not hanging a TV here. I will be putting a small wall mount rack to mount a patch panels for CAT6 and RG6, switch, router, etc. for a home network, and move all splitters/cable co. equipment to this area. Basically it will be used as a distribution point. Want to do 2x4 to the block wall to space a sheet of 3/4 ply off the wall and use to mount the equipment to, like how an electric panel would be mounted on a block wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
One 1/4" Tapcon can likely take 100 pounds in shear before breaking, putting additional Tapcons in will help even more. Unless the block really are cinders (more than likely normal heavyweight concrete block) your plan is fine............
They look like typical concrete blocks. If I use tapcons where should I put them in the blocks? The solid sections near joints? In the mortar? I assume not in the hollow section, but if I have to I'd imagine PoleCat's toggle bolt suggestion would work well for that. I just worry about the blocks being brittle and would let the fastener loose before the fastener itself failed, which is why I'm asking.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Anywhere in the block is fine, in the joints is generally fine as well. Technically, the vertical joints are likely to be the weaker joint, but the horizontal joint is fine with out a doubt. Just be sure to get the correct length Tapcons (2.75" in your case for a 2x4 flat), and a decent bit in the correct size. If you don't go through the block, and are drilling in a web of the block, be sure to drill a 1/2" or more deeper than you need to, and work the dust out of the hole so the Tapcon doesn't snap off............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
...like how an electric panel would be mounted on a block wall.
Then you don't need the 2x4's at all.

Plywood sheet; with tapcon's and fender washers.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

Just put up shelving in the basement using 2x4s, fastened them with 3 and 1/2 inch nails using a ramset nailer, probably have over a hundred pounds of stuff on the shelves, not going anywhere, and it was fast
clarc31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #9

toggle bolts for sure
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #10

I use both tapcons and ramsets frequently in block. Both work very well. You'll know right away if either didn't tighten up. Tapcons do little damage to the block if at all. If you use 3 or 4 per 2 x 4, you won't have any trouble with your 100#. Toggle bolts aren't really that strong for their size. Check out the size of the nut they thread into and the thickness of the wing that holds the nut. I use them as a last resort, both strength and installation wise.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #11

This is an interior wall just drill through and use all thread with fender washers and nuts on both sides! Thanks any doubt out of the strength.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #12

ms radell, that would be real strong, good thinking.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #13

I used 3 PT 2x4 with 5 tapcon each into the wall. A couple didn't tighten up but I just redrilled in a different spot and it was fine. Then hung a little over a half sheet of 3/4 ply on it with 2" coated deck screws. Feels solid, doesn't move and I can hang from it so I have no worries about putting my 100 lbs of stuff on it. Thanks for all the tips and advice.