Best EASY Anti-theft Device For Home Front Door - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 31

best EASY anti-theft device for home front door

i rent an apartment which is going on the market to be sold this week while my lease is still valid through the month. the realty company will be putting a lock box on my door, and realtors around the area can get access codes to the box to come into the home for a showing. i'm not overly concerned about this, but i guess there is always the possibility a rogue realty agent wants to become a burglar and comes into my home in that manner.

so, i was just thinking about getting some type of security outside of a key. since this isn't my home, i can't install an inside deadbolt and i doubt my landlord will care to spend the money on a home he is trying to sell anyway. is there any other type of device you might recommend? a few things i saw on amazon were interesting (below). and comments or tips are welcome.

1. security bar
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-26...I338DL1PY047RT

2. door stop alarm
http://www.amazon.com/GE-50246-Smart...I2Y07L2N5V7072

3. don't know how to describe this, it's like a lock over your deadbolt? anyone used this before?
http://www.amazon.com/Rishon-Inc-Add...I1E3M1WW24SMUD

4. my last place had this dead bolt that had a 4" x 2" metal bar connected to the frame by the door, then a hole where you slid a metal donut through. if the door opens it would hit the metal donut and be unable to open. i can't find this product anywhere though, and not sure if it would be a good option anyway.

Advertisement

tuffluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post
i rent an apartment which is going on the market to be sold this week while my lease is still valid through the month. the realty company will be putting a lock box on my door, and realtors around the area can get access codes to the box to come into the home for a showing. i'm not overly concerned about this, but i guess there is always the possibility a rogue realty agent wants to become a burglar and comes into my home in that manner.

so, i was just thinking about getting some type of security outside of a key. since this isn't my home, i can't install an inside deadbolt and i doubt my landlord will care to spend the money on a home he is trying to sell anyway. is there any other type of device you might recommend? a few things i saw on amazon were interesting (below). and comments or tips are welcome.

1. security bar
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-26...I338DL1PY047RT

2. door stop alarm
http://www.amazon.com/GE-50246-Smart...I2Y07L2N5V7072

3. don't know how to describe this, it's like a lock over your deadbolt? anyone used this before?
http://www.amazon.com/Rishon-Inc-Add...I1E3M1WW24SMUD

4. my last place had this dead bolt that had a 4" x 2" metal bar connected to the frame by the door, then a hole where you slid a metal donut through. if the door opens it would hit the metal donut and be unable to open. i can't find this product anywhere though, and not sure if it would be a good option anyway.

I don't understand. How are the trustworthy agents going to gain entrance if you have extra locks on the doors.

You need to stop being suspicious. Realtors pay big.. big.. dollars to renew their licenses on a yearly basis, not to mention other fee's on top of that.

No Agent is going to risk losing all of that just so they can swipe your stereo. Of course all of your money and jewelry is put away. Nothing small and of value left lying around, so maybe an unscrupulous client doesn't get his mitts on it.

Advertisement

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
joecaption (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
I don't understand. How are the trustworthy agents going to gain entrance if you have extra locks on the doors.

You need to stop being suspicious. Realtors pay big.. big.. dollars to renew their licenses on a yearly basis, not to mention other fee's on top of that.

No Agent is going to risk losing all of that just so they can swipe your stereo. Of course all of your money and jewelry is put away. Nothing small and of value left lying around, so maybe an unscrupulous client doesn't get his mitts on it.
there is one lock on the door, and the lock box will provide the key to that lock. there are no extra locks, i'm not sure how i implied that there were.

granted i am not really worried about it, but for peace of mind i thought this would be the place to find recommendations for an added security measure. if anyone would like to make such a recommendation and spare me the "you should trust all realtors" debate, it would be much appreciated.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #4

ok my mistake. Not extra locks. Extra security measures. I think the result is the same though. None of them are getting in.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 03-04-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: as per forum rules.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
ok my mistake. Not extra locks. Extra security measures. I think the result is the same though. None of them are getting in.
what do you mean the result is the same? i'm confused by what you think i am asking. all i want to know is what people would recommend as an anti-theft device for a front door that is easy to use and effective.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 03-04-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: edited quote per forum rules.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 686

Your going to find everyone's going to say it's not needed.
The while idea just does not make since.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
creeper (03-04-2013), Dave Sal (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #7

Im not sure how a security bar or the other devices will NOT prevent someone from gaining access to your home. But once a thief is actually in the home via lockbox code how is anything except trust going to stop him from calmly walking away with your stuff.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Im not sure how a security bar or the other devices will NOT prevent someone from gaining access to your home. But once a thief is actually in the home via lockbox code how is anything except trust going to stop him from calmly walking away with your stuff.
oh, well i meant putting something up at night while i sleep, specifically. again, i know it may seem unreasonable, but if anyone has access to my key that i don't know, i assume there is always a possibility they can come into my home unwanted. i was just looking for a cheap and easy way to keep them out even if they had a key. obviously during a showing i have to allow them access to my home.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #9

Oh I see. I didn't realize you meant while you sleep. I guess anything is possible, but I still can't see a Realtor sneaking in while you sleep. If they want your stuff, they can just come back while you're not home.

If this is difficult for you, ask for no lockbox..Showings only when you or someone you trust is there to open the door for them
Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Not allowing the realtor access to the apartment, gives the new ownership a reason to either serve you a summons to change the lock back to allow, or can start the process to have you moved out of there within 30 days. I would not play around, and if they wish to show, they have to do the following: Give you notice, which you already have, have a way to access (this is where the lock box comes into play), and then there is your part which is: Keep the place looking decent for the showings, which can happen any time, keep valuables locked up, or take them with you, keep an inventory of any damage, your personal items.

The only time that stuff gets stolen during showings, is when scrupulous people have already a plan knowing that residence is a target, so they set up an appointment with multiple people showing up at the same time, so as to detract the realtor or representative of the company showing the building or residence, so one or a couple of others can then go into rooms and lift easy items that could not be noticed by someone that never knew they were there to begin with.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 156

To answer the original question, the security bar should provide plenty of additional security for you when you are home and don't want unannounced visitors.
You might also consider putting a note on the door when you are home that asks any visitors to knock first.
You are being a tiny bit paranoid, but your desire to feel secure in your home is reasonable enough while still allowing access when you are not home.
dftc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 266

Something like this?
Attached Images

Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #13

thanks guys, i think i'm going to get the security bar mentioned in the original thread based on some suggestions. apologies for seeming overly paranoid! $20 is worth the peace of mind.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

Just wait until you move into your new place. Since you are not allowed to use any of those devices in any manor that would prevent a Realtor from getting in to show the house/apartment to a prospective buyer. And that showing could be at 9AM, or 8PM.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Don't forget to remove any Rx medications. Those tend to go missing.

Spending $20 to be able to get to sleep at night is totally worth it. Your original post made it sound like perhaps you were trying to prevent the apartment from being shown.

Advertisement

MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote