Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #1

Share |

Best approach on removing trees for a driveway through vacant land?

This is land that has never been built on before, the area was clear-cut roughly 20 years ago and is now what I would define as heavily wooded. The area the driveway will be through is all small trees 4-8" in diameter; almost all birch and poplar. We won't be building on the site for 3-5 years but we need a driveway to access the site and park our camper on in the mean time.

Obviously its going to be some chainsaw work but my question pertains to when we get to the base of the trees.... do we cut them as low as possible and let them rot because they're small stumps, or should we get a dozer/tractor to start pulling stumps?

Once its cleared we'll pour gravel but I can't decide which would be better, and I don't know what an excavator would do? I'm affraid that pulling stumps is going to tear up too much of the area and turn it to 2' of mud.

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,.....

To do it Right,....
Pull the stumps,.. Dig the Mud out(aka. Box it Out),.. Then backfill,+ level for the driveway......
Depending on the soil,...
You may want to install some Geomembrane under the stone,+ Possibly Heavy Rock for a base,+ fine stone to cap it....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Crabby Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
Once its cleared we'll pour gravel but I can't decide which would be better, and I don't know what an excavator would do? I'm affraid that pulling stumps is going to tear up too much of the area and turn it to 2' of mud.

if you don't pull the stumps you'll be forever filling sink holes as the stumps rot underground. pull the stumps now, put a good base underneath, and you can forget about it
terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #4

Don’t forget to call before you dig! Even for simple projects, like digging up stumps or putting up a mailbox, it’s important to call 811 (http://www.call811.com). There could be utility lines where you break ground - sometimes multiple lines are in a common area and their depths vary, so you might not know about all of them.
call811beforeyoudig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by call811beforeyoudig View Post
Donít forget to call before you dig! Even for simple projects, like digging up stumps or putting up a mailbox, itís important to call 811 (http://www.call811.com). There could be utility lines where you break ground - sometimes multiple lines are in a common area and their depths vary, so you might not know about all of them.
Thats for sure. Out in the middle of Ft Benning one year, digging a foxhole and found a 1 inch phone line!