Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Bed Under a Window Solution for Privacy?

Hi, everyone. I'm new here as a poster, but have been browsing through some of the threads and have found some very cool suggestions, so I thought I'd throw out my own quandary.

I just moved into a new apartment and my bedroom is a bit of a challenge. I suspect at one point in the past it was a front porch, but now it's just an oddly shaped, heavily windowed privacy hurdle.

The room is very narrow and basically all windows on three of the walls. As you can see from the photos, the bed can go on either short wall beneath the window, and I opted for the more open of the two "nooks" (mostly because I don't fancy the idea of sleeping in a box). The trouble is, once I got my mattress and box spring up on the hollywood frame, the top of the bed comes right to the bottom sill of the window. Which wouldn't bother me so much, except that this window looks out onto the front stoop of the house, which means that anyone entering or exiting or dropping off the mail or ringing the doorbell is merely a screen away when the window is open. There are blinds, obviously, so I don't feel completely on display, but it is just a bit too open for my taste.

So I'd like to build some sort of headboard to place over the window to afford me some privacy, but still allow me to get air by opening the top of the window. I welcome all suggestions about how to go about this!

Thanks, all!

P.S. Apologies for image orientation. I don't know how to fix them!
Attached Images

LadyTesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #2

Have you considered shutters? You can buy the ones with the adjustable slats to control light, airflow and privacy.

blinkandimgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 AM   #3

I would go with blinds and curtains and minimize the rooms furniture. A headboard, unless it's 5 feet high has little privacy worth.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Custom User Title

Rewards Points: 6

You could always put a frost film over the glass. You will still get plenty of light but nobody can see inside. The downside is you can't see outside either.

To fix you pic orientation, if you are using a windows PC, open the picture using the default Windows image viewer. Under the picture their are a few icons, one of them rotates the picture. Once you have it at the correct orientation you just simply close it and it saves the image that way. The other solution would be to turn the camera right side up when taking the picture. :p
no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Totally screwed together

My suggestion is to make a privacy slat screen.

You need airflow without sightflow.

Garden centers have the slatted lattice, both in wood and plastic. The privacy version has holes the same size as the slats.

Make a frame for you window as high as you want to cover with 1x3 wood. This frame will hang behind your window. On one side, cover it with the lattice. Cover the other side as well, but offset the spacing so that looking directly though only reveals the other lattice. If you use white lattice, it's impossible to see through in daylight.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #6

One Apt I had one window with same problem
I had a pice of glass cut that fit the opening
Put mirror tint on it
Cut down the noise from the street & worked great

But you have too many windows...and landlord might not like it
A bamboo blind at the end of the bed that could be dropped down might work
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #7

I'm thinking the landlord will frown on any modifications to the glass or frame work. You might ask if they will let you change the color of any blinds. But I'd look into privacy/light filtering shades, both vertical & horizontal.
Is this a fairly safe neighborhood - maybe a guard gate at the entrance?
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #8

I would put blinds, shutters, or curtains on my window.

MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote