Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

BBQ needs cleaning in a BIG BAD WAY

Hey all,

So I've pulled out our BBQ recently, and it is in NASTY shape inside - there's a white, chalky residue over all the interior, and the racks look like there's a great deal of old buildup, and some rust.

Now, I need to CLEAN this thing HARD CORE. However, here's my question -

My main racks look like there's some kind of glaze on them, which has chipped away in places, revealing a metal underneath. I've always used a stiff bristle brush and steel pads for cleaning, as well as a metal scraper, and I've not really noticed this until now.

With all that in mind, what would be the best way to clean this thing out? I looked into some CLR, but it says it can't be used with certain metals, and I don't want to ruin the BBQ, so I'm hoping that there may be some other ways to get this thing up and running again. Any thoughts/hints/remedies?

Thanks!

G

GordCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

oven cleaner ?

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
remodeling pro

I use grill and fryer cleaner from Sams Club. I believe it is just a more potent version of typical oven cleaner, but it melts the grime right off. A word of caution...heed the warning to wear impervious gloves, otherwise you will be getting all new skin on your hands in a couple fo days, learned from experience.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
STAFF

Rewards Points: 18

I have the same problem, I plan to fire it up and burn the garbage out then do a good cleaning with a stiff bristle brush. I am afraid to use a chemical inside because it could transfer to the meat when I start smoking. I will need to reseason the smoker so I will fire a few times with just smoke.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
I have the same problem, I plan to fire it up and burn the garbage out then do a good cleaning with a stiff bristle brush.
Ayuh,.... Ditto that,... Fire it up, burn it off, 'n wirebrush the 'ell outa it....

Then it's ready for Grillin'....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #6

I have to clean my grill about once every two months. The first thing I do is cover the grates with Aluminum foil to trap the heat under it. This really cleans the crap off of the grates. It turns it to a white powder on my stainless grates. I then pull everything apart...grates, lavar rock, burners and shop vac the entire thiong out. I clean the burner holes and scrape down all the insides. If there is a large amount of buildup on the hood I spray it down with oven cleaner. Put it all back together and I am good to go. fortumatly all of the components in my grill are stainless.

My main racks look like there's some kind of glaze on them, which has chipped away in places, revealing a metal underneath.

Your racks are most likely regular steel with a ceramic coating that is chipping off. you most likely can get replacements for these.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Ammonia is particularly good for cleaning oven grills, BBQs etc.

Set a cup or so in a cup or pie tin on the bbq grill or the base. Cover the whole thing with a contractor bag to seal in the gases. Let sit for 12-24 hours.

You will still need some wire brush or pad work but the fumes will have loosened most.

And it is cheaper and safer than oven cleaner.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #8

Hi G, I've used a de-greaser product before for my grill it's by The Grill Care Company and i think I got it at Home Depot or Lowes when all their grill stuff hit's the shelves. This is "Extra Strength Degreaser for Outdoor Gas Grills", but it also is not for painted surfaces or plastic (I use it inside only)-- put it on thick newspaper (I put plastic garbage bags under the newspaper) and really spray it, let it sit, scrape it off and if necessary do it again. I then washed it with HOT soapy water and hosed if off and let it dry in the sun. My grates I've cleaned up with a fume-less Easy Off oven cleaner that's OK for the oven grates. (although I think you could use this degreaser on the grates too). I've even done that in the basement and then washed really good with HOT soapy water -- be sure to remove all the product because this is where you place your steak! Good luck!

uslarsono is offline   Reply With Quote