Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 520

Battery clock doesnt work- testing continuity

People,

have a neat battery clock, takes one AA battery. Freshly tested 1.5++ v battery inserted, and no action. Took a good multimeter, set it on ohms, and got no reading. Not sure what range to set it on, but tried all of them, and still, showed 1 (infinity?)

Tips appreciated.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,492

You don't use a multimeter on ohms to check a battery.........unless you mean you tried it on the clock.

Did you try reversing the leads?

Almost all of the clock movements are the same.....I'm sure you have another battery powered clock in the house....measure that one....

But my money would be on the clock movement.....the good news is that a new one is about $7 at a craft store.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
noquacks (08-19-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
You don't use a multimeter on ohms to check a battery.........unless you mean you tried it on the clock.

Did you try reversing the leads?

Almost all of the clock movements are the same.....I'm sure you have another battery powered clock in the house....measure that one....

But my money would be on the clock movement.....the good news is that a new one is about $7 at a craft store.
Thanks, dawg. Yes, I took ohms on the clock, bnot the batery. I finally got it to register- only about 3-4 on the meter- another working one showed 15 or so, so I figured its bad internally.

Now, its a Disney clock, with a special pivot clip on top, where the Mouse's arms tick back/forth, so not sure how easy it will be to replace the movement. Im talking about the entire black case, of course. cant sem to unsnap the 2 halves apart, not that it may matter if its busted anyway.....
Old 08-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,492

Well.....as they say.....if it breaks while taking it apart.....then it's definitely broken.....good luck on it

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
Thanks, dawg. Yes, I took ohms on the clock, bnot the batery. I finally got it to register- only about 3-4 on the meter- another working one showed 15 or so, so I figured its bad internally.

Now, its a Disney clock, with a special pivot clip on top, where the Mouse's arms tick back/forth, so not sure how easy it will be to replace the movement. Im talking about the entire black case, of course. cant sem to unsnap the 2 halves apart, not that it may matter if its busted anyway.....
picture would be helpful. It's likely heat staked. I've had some luck, both good and bad, in drilling out the stakes with a forstner bit. Have to get creative reassembling though. Good Luck.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
People,

have a neat battery clock, takes one AA battery. Freshly tested 1.5++ v battery inserted, and no action. Took a good multimeter, set it on ohms, and got no reading. Not sure what range to set it on, but tried all of them, and still, showed 1 (infinity?)

Tips appreciated.
I didn't read other post yet. On the ohm scale that doesn't read volt's. Sometimes this will total out the meter. Now in the ohms setting's toutch the two lead's togother the meter should move to the most likey the right side on any scale. Now when you test the coil which when you have the battery out you should get a movement of the needle on the low setting like 1x1 or the lowest setting. You said infinity which needle didn't move ?? If not than the coil probly is open. The wire is so small that it is most likeley not repaiable. I been in radio and tv repair for 60 yrs and been around this stuff. They don't cost must to replace.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 730

You have to be careful using an ohm meter on a higher range with small devices. Most us a 9V battery in the upper ranges and this could toast a delicate winding.

PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote