Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathtub paint chiping

hello all, my problem is the paint on my tub is chiping away to the point we cant use that tub at all. when we bought this home 14 years ago the salers had the tup color changed from blue to white--now i dont know who they had do the job but it only lasted a year before it started chiping away,the bathroom is a guest bath and really never used --but something has to be done about it ,i went to hd and bought a repair kit--that just looks like something i;ed really make a mess of.soooo if i hire this out what kind of money do you all think i'am looking at, the tub is not fiberglass. or do you think i should try sanding it and doing it myself. thanks so much for reading this and any in put louann.

louann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #2

bathtub paint chiping

around here in MD I believe you can have a tub refinished/reglazed for about 300-400.

FallenAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

bathtub paint chiping

As big a fan of DIYing as I am, I would have to say I wouldn't recommend tub refinishing as a good DIY project
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:08 PM   #4

bathtub paint chiping

I called around , looks like about 400 to 500, geez i think thats alot . maybe i'll give it a try myself --how bad could i mess it up if i do have to have someone come out and fix it for that price . louann--i'll let you know how this turns out.
louann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #5

bathtub paint chiping

a professional will sand it down, prep it, finish it professionally. I have seen plenty that were done by DIYer's that looked crappy. Honestly, this is one repair I would source out to a professional.
FallenAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

bathtub paint chiping

How much do you want to bet the previous homeowner did it DIY? That could be why it only lasted a year.

Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

bathtub paint chiping

If the stuff you bought at Home Depot is called ReNew...Take it back. I tried doing my fiberglass stand-up shower and it came out awful. I then called a chemical Enginner that I know and he recomended Marine paint (which I believe the pros use), unfortunately, the stuff I needed has to be bonded to the fiberglass and I have a layer of crappy product covering over the fiberglass.

I am going to try using the Klenk's bathtub refinishing kit. I have it all prepared and ready to go, just need a few hours of uninterupted (ya right, not around here) time to do it. I will let you know how it turns out.

I do know that if you refinish any tub, you have to be extra super careful to get ALL of the caulk off. Every little spot became obvious when I painted. I thought I did a very good job getting rid of it all, but tiny amounts of caulk cause alot of problems.

Is it possible that this is what started the chipping? If the chips started where there would be caulk, I would be willing to bet that was the problem. If they did not clean the surface good enough, there would not be a good bond either. If you try it, make sure you follow the directions and make sur eit is perfectly clean.
steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

bathtub paint chiping

Well I finally got the shower painted and it looks awful. Never, ever attempt to use any of the do it yourself tub paints. The stuff I got was supposed to be roller/brush applied and they claim that it is self leveling to eliminate brush marks. You can see each and every stroke.

My next project is to remove the shower surround and tile it all.

steel is offline   Reply With Quote