Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom vent was just venting into attic

I noticed it this afternoon when up in the attic. The vent piping was sticking up out of the insulation and was pointed at the wall of the attic. Now there is about a square foot section of the gypsum wall board is soft and crumbling.

Obviously I need to properly vent the bathroom vent but what do I do about the damage to the wall? If the wall board decays is there anything behind that other than my siding?

TyWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #2

Confusing, even if the vent was pointing at the back side of the drywall it should not have any effect on it. The attic would have been full of methane gas and stink, but not have done damage.
And how does the drywall have anything to do with the siding?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Confusing, even if the vent was pointing at the back side of the drywall it should not have any effect on it. The attic would have been full of methane gas and stink, but not have done damage.
And how does the drywall have anything to do with the siding?
My bad. I meant the ceiling fan in the bathroom was venting into the attic, not the stack vent.

The moisture from the bathroom was venting into the attic and the vent pipe was a few feet from the wall. The wall in a small section there is now crumbling and soft. The wall I am talking about is the gypsum wall that would be used to attach to the frame when the house was built.

I am afraid that if it crumbles its the only thing between the siding on the outside of the house and the attic.
TyWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #4

Well, you'll have to replace it anyways. If it's wet and crumbling, it won't get any better!! You'll have to get that vent so it goes outside too.
I don't know your attic, but if there's gypsum, HOPEFULLY behind that is insulation and then the side of your house and siding on top of that.