Bathroom Vent - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom Vent

Hi All,

Just bought a house, thank god for this site!

My Home has two full baths directly above each other with no exhaust fans what so ever. I need to add them because I am afraid the moisture is going to start destroying the drywall. Here is my problem. How am I supposed to install the one on the first floor with the other bathroom directly above it? Do I just install the fan in the wall and run the tube up the wall between the stud spaces?
Im afraid that the first floor wont make it up to the roof.

So after thinking about it a bit this is what Ive come up with, let me know what you think. What If I install a fan in each bathroom and have them meet, exiting the house, somewhere between the first and second floor? I can have the upstairs tube drop down and the first floor tube go straight out to an exterior wall, do you see any problems with that?

Thanks all!

Advertisement

mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 852

Bathroom Vent

why dont you vent them seperately

Advertisement

federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bathroom Vent

My 1st floor bathroom vent goes out the side of the house
You do not want the vent running too far as the mosisture will condense
The correct way to vent 2 bathrooms withg one vent is a fan in the attaic that pulls the air from both bathrooms
If you are pushing air with a fan in both bathrooms then you will push some air into the bathroom without the fan running
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Bathroom Vent

Yeah look at a remote inline fan that sucks air from both vents. You could install a timer in both washrooms that are connected in parallel so if any timer is on the fan is on. I recently installed an inline fan in my basement for the upstairs washroom, probably about 25 feet of pipe, and so far so good. I have a cleanout near the bottom of the run and no water accumulates in it at all. If I stick my finger in it's a bit damp but not more then that.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom Vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer View Post
why dont you vent them seperately
Because for the downstairs bathroom to vent up is almost 25 feet. Isnt that too far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
My 1st floor bathroom vent goes out the side of the house
You do not want the vent running too far as the mosisture will condense
The correct way to vent 2 bathrooms withg one vent is a fan in the attaic that pulls the air from both bathrooms
If you are pushing air with a fan in both bathrooms then you will push some air into the bathroom without the fan running
How far is too far? and also can you give me some more information on the type of fan that I should use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Yeah look at a remote inline fan that sucks air from both vents. You could install a timer in both washrooms that are connected in parallel so if any timer is on the fan is on. I recently installed an inline fan in my basement for the upstairs washroom, probably about 25 feet of pipe, and so far so good. I have a cleanout near the bottom of the run and no water accumulates in it at all. If I stick my finger in it's a bit damp but not more then that.
Interesting, how far is your tubing running if you dont mind me asking?
mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Bathroom Vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikesit580 View Post

Interesting, how far is your tubing running if you dont mind me asking?

Roughly 25 feet or so. The inlet is in the ceiling of the bathroom, there is some insulated flex pipe that runs maybe 6-8 feet in the attic to an ABS pipe that runs 8 feet down through a chimney chase (luck of the draw that this existed and had room) then a foot or so of pipe to the fan. I did not start on the rest yet so right now it vents right IN the basement, but all I have to do now is add maybe 8 feet worth of metal ducting to go to the outside vent I installed last weekend. Have not been working much on this due to other stuff I've been pulled into, but overall it's done, just odds and ends to do.

Posted details here.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote