DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathroom shower surround

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  StevePax 
#1 ·
My new house has a crummy master bathroom that will be receiving a complete overhaul, courtesy of me. That includes the shower. Currently, there is a pre-formed regular shower pan (which I think may be the only salvageable part of the whole bathroom...), with the shower walls tiled with regular 4.5 inch bathroom tiles (pretty standard), but the whole shower is in very bad shape. I want to put in a shower surround kit instead, something like this: http://www.bath-shower-wall-surround.com/

I think I'm going to have to take out the tiles to do it properly. What's my procedure? Remove tiles with hammer/chisel/whatever, then will I have to replace all the drywall or whatever I find behind those tiles? The house is 30 years old, but I have no idea how old that shower is. If I have to replace it, what do I replace it with, and how do I complete the seam between the new stuff surrounding the shower where it meets the rest of the bathroom wall? Like, if I'm using concrete backer board, how do I do the seam where that butts up against regular drywall? Do I just make sure that seam falls just inside the edge of the enclosure, perhaps?

Then, when installing a shower door, I'm guessing that the shower door "jamb" has to be screwed through the shower surround and into wall studs, right? I guess there probably is a wall stud right there where the current shower door is screwed in, so maybe I'll be just fine, as long as I put it inexactly the same location as now?

Maybe I just need someone to break it down for me, step by step, what needs to go where. I don't want to screw this up and create more work and expense for myself down the line.

Also, does anyone else think it's ridiculous that I am going to need a permit to install a new toilet in that bathroom, but no permit would be required to remove the current toilet and reinstall the same toilet (like over new flooring or whatever)? I'm not moving the toilet, mind you, I just want a new, modern, water-wise toilet, but I need a permit for that. I probably need a permit for this shower, too.

Advice?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.