Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #1

Share |

Bathroom fan

Our upstaris batthroom fan is not working properly. This happened last year in winter time also.
The steam going up into the fan I think is condesing and then turning to water in the attic and then it is starting to soak into sheet rock and dripping from the ceiling. When I take the cover off the fan there is water pooled up in the cover to.
Last year I went up in the attic and there was not a good connection on the exhaust part of the fan to the tubing. I connected it better and then sprayed that epxandable foam around it to have a good tight seal. It worked and all the leaks stopped last year.
Now this morning it has started again. I have not been up in the attic yet to look but I am kind of at a loss at what to do. Any tips??

grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
the Musigician

Bathroom fan

i'd say back to the attic... let us know what you find!

DM

Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #3

Bathroom fan

And you have an insulated duct leading to the exterior? Is there a flapper vent not there or not working allowing cold air to backdraft?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #4

Bathroom fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
And you have an insulated duct leading to the exterior? Is there a flapper vent not there or not working allowing cold air to backdraft?
yes the duct is insulated....the flapper on the fan is working. Up on the roof who knows about a flapper I am in a townhouse and they will have to come check that out
Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Bathroom fan

It does sound as if your fan is drawing a large amount of moisture out of your bath area, which is good, BUT--are you running the fan long enough after you have finished with your bath or shower? You need to run the fan long enough to push all of the moisture accumulated within the fan box and duct work completely on out. I recommend running it for at least 15 minutes after a good, long, hot shower. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #6

Bathroom fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
It does sound as if your fan is drawing a large amount of moisture out of your bath area, which is good, BUT--are you running the fan long enough after you have finished with your bath or shower? You need to run the fan long enough to push all of the moisture accumulated within the fan box and duct work completely on out. I recommend running it for at least 15 minutes after a good, long, hot shower. Thanks, David
most of the time I try to run it longer, not all the time but it start leaking fairly quickly.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Chicago, IL

Bathroom fan

have you checked to make sure that the duct is fully connected to the fan?
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #8

Bathroom fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
have you checked to make sure that the duct is fully connected to the fan?
I did that last year and then also sprayed the expandable foam insulation around it. I havent had a chance to get up there yet again but I dont see how that stuff would move or change from last year
Old 12-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #9

Bathroom fan

The only way for moisture to be dripping down is for it to condense from hitting cooler air or a cool surface before it reaches the exterior. You need to determine what is causing this situation. Somehow, that warm moist air is cooling down too quick before it exists and dropping the moisture as it does. Remember, warm air carries much more moisture than cool air and as it cools it will condense on any surface it can. Is the run from the fan to the exterior too long? How far does it have to go? If the dampers are allowing it to backfeed that could be your problem. You'll have to sleuth it out.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
Phil

Bathroom fan

Problem with a condo situation is that anything past your interior walls and ceiling is technically under the control of the condo management or association. I would get them to fix the larger problem as you mentioned that the fan is working so it is downstream so to speak from the fan. There may no be a good seal around the roof penetration which is a relatively common occurrence and this would let moisture from the roof down into the duct leading to your bathroom.
Phillysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #11

Bathroom fan

yeah I had them deal with it. one guy was out today and basically cant do anything until spring. He think the tube is to long, which is what I told them. He is reporting his findings to the association and we will see where it goes.
I thought they should have a loop in the tubing or something to prevent it dripping back down. I think I will just have to deal with it for now but then will not know until next winter on whatever they do actually works which is kind of pointless